Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked her up over the weekend. Runs strong and aside from the fuel gauge not working it doesn't seem to have any problems.

Allthough I am mechanically competent, I am a complete noob when it comes to Alfas. This board promises to be a fountain of information. Please feel free to comment and give some advise.
I can use any help I can get.

I'll let pictures speak for themselves:

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a "restoration" budget for this car and I'm ready to start shopping, but I plan to use this car as a daily driver.

While I'm waiting for the Alfa Bible and Haynes manuals to arrive, here are some questions that I hope you can help me with.

Gents, from your experience with these cars, what are some of the parts that I should replace right away?

- As you can see the turn signals on the front bumper are clearly after-market. Is that how they were imported into Canada, or is there a more athletically pleasing solution?

- Where should I start troubleshooting the faulty fuel-gauge?

- One window is missing the rubber weather strip. IAP do not have it. Are there any alternatives to the original rubber trim parts?

- Bezel rings around instruments seem to have been painted red. What color are the originals?

Thank you all and I look forward to being a member of this club.

Yuri.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
What a great car!!
By the way , those aren't problems! Just character!!!!:D

Sedans Rock.....to bad I sold mine last year!!!!

Enjoy..........................

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Nice front lip
I noticed that. It's really cool. :cool:

Welcome to the small but hopefully growing "Sedan Club". I think that the Alfetta sedan is one of the most under rated Alfas out there. Folks say that the Berlina is the better four door. The Alfetta has all the good stuff that the GTV-6/Milano cars have. Trans axle etc... I prefer the older cars to the newer big body sedans.
If you ever come across any markings on the front air dam get in touch or post your findings. I like that better than my GTV-6 air dam that I cut about six inches from the center to fit on my sedan.:D

I have a good instrument cluster form my car if you are interested in it. I removed it from my sedan to install a dash from an Alfetta Sprint Veloce in my car.
Here is my air dam and a pic of how the cluster is supposed to look.
Once again, welcome to the coolest Alfa club!

Oh... If you can get rid of the big bumpers, you will probably gain a few more MPG. Those friggin' thins have got to weigh at least 45 lbs apiece!

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I also have a good GTV-6 sending unit that might fit the Alfetta. You'll have to do the leg work to find out 'cause I'm too lazy.

Paul

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
way cool Alfetta...Congratulations on your first Alfa. You'll love it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone!
I absolutely love the lines of this sedan. I even like Alfetta's higher than usual stance; it's somewhat rally-esque.

Paul, is your instrument cluster currently on E-bay? I would be very interested. How hard of an install is it? Any idea where I can find the chrome bumpers?

IAP informed me that it will be next to impossible to find any body or trim parts for the sedan. Is that true?

My first order of business is a new paint-job. I'm currently scouting out some good body shops in Toronto area.

So at 98,000 what big repairs should I anticipate?

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
As the owner of a red '75 sedan myself - I'll say that's a nice car! :)

Big repairs to anticipate: Could be anything - it all depends on previous maintenance (or lack thereof), what do you know about it's history?

Try pulling the door panel off and looking inside there for the missing piece of weatherstripping. Sometimes they get dragged down when the window is repeately lowered over time. While you have the panel out is a good time to clean up the drain holes (see my previous post in the other thread by Senna vs Prost about drainage for these cars).

Is the fuel gauge completely lifeless or does it bounce about at all?

Just as a side note - your front grill is replaced with a '76-77 model year's grill. The '75 should have a narrower shield that shows a bit of body color on either side of it. My guess is that it had an accident at one point and the repair was made with a later grill. Not a big deal - just info I thought I'd pass along.:)

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Oh - I forgot - the black bumpers are a little more than 80 lbs each!

I've twice procured stainless sedan bumper sets from Australia, expensive - but what price beauty?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Great car!
Even though it shows a 6/75 build date on the tag, it probably is a '76 model.

An excellent source of parts is Alfa Parts Exchange (APE): http://www.apedirect.com/ in northern California.

These cars are serious "sleepers" , and you will surprise all sorts of other drivers with this car, especially in the twisties.

Dive it like you stole it!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Oh - I forgot - the black bumpers are a little more than 80 lbs each!
Oh..... no wonder that when I took the back one off it landed on me and about rolled me into the alley:eek:
I was at the rear of the car and had unbolted the rear one, I was sitting behind the car and gave it a good tug........ youch!!

You can see the hill.

I'm sure that with a new Alfetta you will be able to tell cool stories soon:D

The cluster is not on ebay. Make me an offer. I really don't need it.

Paul

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
You can see the hill.

The cluster is not on ebay. Make me an offer. I really don't need it.

Paul
What hill? ;) Here in SF - that qualifies as flat ground! :D:D:D

If our new convert passes on the gauge cluster, PM me - If everything worked on it when you pulled it off - I may want to play around with it. I already have a spare - but I like to frankenstein things to get 1 fully working panel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. Amazing what little bits of information true enthusiasts know. :cool: 80lb bumpers? :eek: Do Alfettas second as battering rams?

The original owner claimed regular maintenance and it shows, but he also only drove the car once a YEAR, while I plan on driving her almost daily. I'm trying to compile a list of parts that I should replace right away, but so far I have nothing but some cosmetic items on that list. Are there any "rule of thumb" parts that need to be replaced when taking ownership of a used Alfa?

SFALFA, I've also read your post Re:drain plugs, and I will definitely follow your instructions on cleaning those spots. Thanks!

My fuel gauge is completely dead. No movement at all. I'll start investigating with wiring in the trunk and go from there.

What about my front turn-signals? They just do not look right. :confused: Could some sedan owners please send me a photo of how they should look?

gt601, I've sent you a PM regarding the instrument cluster. PS: Nice stable you got there.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Well - here's a pic of my car's turn signals pre - stainless bumpers. This is how your's would look from the factory. I don't know what happened or why somebody would go to the trouble to make new ones...:confused: unless they turned out looking much better than the original.

Gas gauges on these cars can be very frustrating. Both of mine are epileptic and so I go by the red warning light + trip odometer readings. I tried different gauge clusters, checking out the contacts and wiring of the sending units in the gas tank and still it's all over the place. Since your's is completely dead - maybe it'll be easier to track.

As far as what to replace right away - I still contend with "whatever you find broken". It's hard to know for sure until something breaks - and that could happen today or it could happen years from now. You say the engine runs strong, so there really is a need to go messing with something that isn't broke.:)

Things to CHECK condition on: Driveline, wheel bearings (Alfettas tend to be hard on theirs), rubber suspension bits, ball-joints, CV boots (especially in the rear where the exhaust pipe skirts by), condition of coolant fluid (oily?, sludge?), belts, Tire age/condition,

Things you might want to change out right away: Oil/oil filter, Spica pump oil filter, fuel filters, air filters, tighten any and all electrical grounding bolts you can find...

I'd drive it around and listen for creaks/vibrations/groans/rattles, etc. Take it hard into various turns at varying speeds listening for anything that doesn't immediately make you smile. Check for alignment, brakes (does the handbrake hold the car on an incline?).

I dunno what else - anyone care to chime in? :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts