Registered
what part?
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you psk.. i dont know how to load a youtube site onto this site

·
Administrator
14,270 Posts
Once you find the video, click Share > Copy Link. Then paste the link into a post here

Pete

·
Registered
what part?
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no it is not,, once you get the hang of it, its easy.. and our alfas have lots of lead work on them, trunk seams and other places

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Out of curiosity, for those of us who are unenlightened, when did Alfa stop using lead in the panels?

·
Registered
what part?
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not till the end ..if you dare.. the water channel under the boot lid...scrape away the paint..just a little then press in a small screwdriver, and you can pick the lead out..even a 93 car,,it not going to jump off the car and kill you so dont worry

·
Registered
1988 Spider Quadrifoglio
54 Posts
As cool as these old-timey artisan techniques are...

Don't do this with lead solder. For those who don't want nerve and liver damage and don't want to contaminate the area with lead dust, how do you go about controlling the dust coming off the grinder and the sander? It should be filed and sanded by hand instead of using power tools so the dust is controlled. Yikes. Definitely don't want to contaminate your home like this, especially if you have younglings around.

I really hope this guy is using lead free solder.

Quality modern resins/fillers are a good enough replacement when applied correctly, especially for parts that won't be flexing much.

·
Registered
1988 Spider Quadrifoglio
54 Posts
Also don't weld around the leaded seams. Not only will it cause liquid metal embrittle ment, the lead vapour is very awful. If you must, scrape as much as possible off and wear a supplied air respirator.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
not till the end ..if you dare.. the water channel under the boot lid...scrape away the paint..just a little then press in a small screwdriver, and you can pick the lead out..even a 93 car,,it not going to jump off the car and kill you so dont worry
Im kinda surprised they used it so long, not very concerned about it. I thought lead filler was considered antiquated by the 70's/80's for most vehicles. But the spider being so unchanged throughout its manufacture, not surprising.

·
Registered
what part?
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
as with everything.. there is a safe way to do this, and a unsafe way to do this......plastic dust in your lungs is just as dangerous.. ...a mask when useing 'lead ' or plastic is a good idea.... use power sander on plastic.. and it gets everywere and it floats in the air,,,much longer than ' lead '.. you dont 'melt
the lead, nor do you ' vaporize ' it.. it more like laying on soften butter....then smoshing it down into the panel and spreading it around.. and using power tools..sanders etc... its very easy to block sand it,,,and if you wanted to, as i do it,, i use dishwashing soap( dawn ) and wipe it onto the ' lead ' durring sanding... this way no dust... then when you are done.... just rinse off the soap... and no matter how you do it,, water will get under the plastic at some point.. plastic will not flex with the bodyshell, and all that micro flexing.. will allow waterin some form... vapour most likely to get under it,, and start the rust to start... the ' lead ' will flex with the bodyshell... use what you feel the best with...when i use ' lead ' i am allways outside..

·
Registered
1988 Spider Quadrifoglio
54 Posts
I agree that vapour is not a problem when you're soldering, as long as you don't put the torch flame directly on the molten pool.

Plastic fillers are not so great, I agree, but they are not usually not directly toxic. Mild carcinogens maybe. Lead is toxic.

The wash water is also not the best with plastic, but the lead... yikes. You can work safely with lead but it involves measures that are not practical at home. Like what do you do with the water suspended lead dust you rinsed off? Let it run into the soil? Down your driveway and into the storm sewer?

If you must do solder/brazing work can use lead-free tin-copper filler/solder. More difficult to work with but isn't directly harmful.

·
Administrator
14,270 Posts
Most of the "lead" used to day is tin based.

and, @bianchi2 the metal wok on that door is horrible. The lead is used to hide the poor metal work.
Thats what it is used for. Even manufacturers used it for seams where it was cheaper to fill than to design/manufacture the seam so better. Ferrari used it to get door gaps.

I can't tell if this door repair involves an overlapped join or not. If it does => horrid repair
Pete

Reactions: ossodiseppia

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Also don't weld around the leaded seams. Not only will it cause liquid metal embrittle ment, the lead vapour is very awful. If you must, scrape as much as possible off and wear a supplied air respirator.
You know, I chomped on lead fishing weights to clamp them onto my trout line, and there was a bit of accidental lead shot in the pheasants, ducks and quail I ate when I was single and double digits. I still got into Harvard and Stanford. Just saying............

But in a way it's good, because it keeps lead prices more reasonable for flashing and fishing weights.

(Disclaimer: anything I do or say is illegal in California)

·
Administrator
14,270 Posts
Everything is dangerous

Pete

·
Registered
what part?
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how many people smoke here and say that ' lead ' loading is unsafe?

·
Administrator
14,270 Posts
Lol

Pete

·
Registered
what part?
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
psk// you are up really early or up real late there in New Zealand

1 - 20 of 27 Posts