Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As in the title, does anyone have an idea about what may have happened with this uncommon composed gear box ? ... or was it an existing part ? I would say 'unlogical' with the extra mounts isn't it ?

The rear rubber mount measured approx 60 mm ... Giulia gear box mount ?
The giubo seemed to be a normal Giulia 6 hole one. ( Giulietta ? )
Sorry I have no further information and, unfortunately, I had no attention to what shaft was installed in the bell housing, although I guess a Giulia shaft would have been to short .

Also as in the title, this investigation is just for the sport !

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Push hard and live
11,331 Posts
The basic 102 gearbox formed the basis of decades of Alfa 5-speeds. The main differences were the input shaft and rear support. Several smaller differences, of course, plus evolutionary ones such as synchro design.

My bet is that someone needed a quick trans replacement for a 2600, found a later 105/115 box, grafted in the long 2600 input shaft, and got their car back on the road. The rear support bushing would be superfluous.

I'm using a 2600 box in my 2000, which required replacing the 3-finger output shaft with the earlier 4-finger. That gave me a taller fifth gear.

I'm led to understand that the earlier 2000 input shaft is not compatible with the later transmissions, which is why I suspect the bell housing and input shaft are from a 2600.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I'm using a 2600 box in my 2000, which required replacing the 3-finger output shaft with the earlier 4-finger. That gave me a taller fifth gear.
A 'taller' fifth gear on the Two-liter (and the Montreal) would be really nice! The stock fifth gear(s) seem more like a 4th and a half gear -almost like changing from 4th back into 4th again with a smaller drop in RPM.

Don, would it be possible to swap the taller 5th gear from the 2600 onto the Two-liter shaft? I guess Larry Dickman did yours and would know.

Regarding the Montreal, there were various gears available depending on which car the ZF transmission was used in. Bruce Taylor commented that the Montreal gear cluster was favored for its close ratio in Montreal ~the Essential Companion.

Mark

·
Push hard and live
11,331 Posts
My understanding is that there is very limited interchangeability between the 102 and 106 boxes. Larry Jr. knows the details. However, a greater degree of interchangeability can be achieved by stripping the gears off of various shafts and using the gears from the other box.

When Larry set up my 2600 box to work with my 2300 (same as 2000), by changing the output, and I think input, shafts, an infamously self-important BBer loudly said "WON'T WORK!".

Mine is still running smoothly and quietly 11,000+ miles later.

Reactions: IRONBLOCK
1 - 4 of 4 Posts