Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Mike Escobar. I'm 25 years old and live in Loudoun County, VA. I've been into old cars for most of my life. I started out as a hot rod and muscle car guy (predominantly Mopars). I fell in love with British cars the first time I attended the Hunt Country Classic British car show in Middleburg, VA when I was ten or eleven years old. My love for British sports cars turned out to be my "gateway drug" to European sports cars, in general. When I'm not attending car shows all across the Mid-Atlantic region, chances are I'm reading about and thinking about classic cars. My regular haunt is the weekly Katie's Cars and Coffee event in Great Falls, VA. You'll find me there almost every Saturday of the year.

My other passions include fly-fishing (though I rarely have time for it), WWII and aviation history, and listening to my vast collection of music. I'm a blues and blues/rock man, mostly into stuff from the '60s and early '70s. Though the vast majority of my collection is on CDs, I have a burgeoning vinyl collection that's growing rapidly.

I just bought my first Alfa, a 1984 Spider Veloce, silver with blue interior. It's not only my first Alfa, but also my first car, period. It has some rust in the usual places (rocker panels/just ahead of the rear wheel arches), the second-gear synchro issue, the odometer doesn't work, and it has a modern aftermarket stereo that doesn't work. I intend to remedy all of these issues, in time, starting with the odometer and stereo. I never expected it to look like a concours-quality car, as I only paid $1400 for it.

That said, the running gear seems to work fine. The engine starts easily and sounds great! It also has a new clutch and a relatively recent top. I inspected the car in the pouring rain, so I know the top doesn't leak, and the interior is devoid of any mold or mildew (very important to me, due to allergies).

I recently came across Alfabb while researching a Fiat 1100/103 TV Bertone coupe that I was looking at at the Radnor Hunt Concours. I had no idea that I was to be an Alfa owner within a month! I joined because I saw that this is an active community of Alfa and Italian car enthusiasts and am hoping to continue to learn and compare notes with like-minded enthusiasts as I work on and enjoy my Spider. Next up on my event calendar is the Hershey AACA show/swap meet, followed by the Hunt Country classic on Sunday, then to the Rockville, MD antique car show the following Saturday.

Cheers!

~Mike

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hello and welcome if your anything like me you'll end up with a stable of ALFAS. They are great driving cars and a lot of fun. There is also a lot of helpful people on this BB and an enormous amount of collective knowledge that they are willing to share.
PS we all like to see a pic or 2 ( you'll havta turn it upside down for me )

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome if your anything like me you'll end up with a stable of ALFAS. They are great driving cars and a lot of fun. There is also a lot of helpful people on this BB and an enormous amount of collective knowledge that they are willing to share.
PS we all like to see a pic or 2 ( you'll havta turn it upside down for me )
Thanks! Sorry I don't currently have software to re-size images installed on this machine. Until I get that sorted, here's a few links to pics of it on my Flickr photostream.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/15463310681/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/15279881577/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/15279881577/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/15443361826/

·
Registered
974 Posts
Welcome aboard! Great to have you here.. The best car forum on the net, by far!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mike,

I just rescued an '87, no rust or dent s 69k miles. These are be special cars that will worth substantially more in 5-10 yrs. you're driving for free (including gas)

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts