Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just bought a 164L from a guy who had to get rid of it. It is white with a strange green interior. It needs a new fuel pump, so had it towed off to my mechanic. It is definitely in need of restoration, but hopefully not too much. It is my first project car; however, I am having the mechanic do the fuel pump and drain/flush/replace all fluids. Once it is running, I will do the rest.
So any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Terry

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
Hi all,
I just bought a 164L from a guy who had to get rid of it. It is white with a strange green interior. It needs a new fuel pump, so had it towed off to my mechanic. It is definitely in need of restoration, but hopefully not too much. It is my first project car; however, I am having the mechanic do the fuel pump and drain/flush/replace all fluids. Once it is running, I will do the rest.
So any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Terry
Is your mechanic an Alfa 164 or Alfa 12v V6 mech?

It is important to understand valve timing on this engine and how to change timing belt and set belt tension. This should be verified before trying to start engine with unknown history.

As for fuel pump it is inside tank and problem maybe cracked hose from pump to tank cover.

As for interior sounds like you have fabric covered seats and maybe interior really was gray when new and now apppears to have a greenish tint.

See these items discussed in my maintenance sticky on top of this 164 section.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
So you gave the mechanic a project. :rolleyes: Time to get your hands dirty unless you need to give your wallet a workout (mine doesn't need one). :eek:
Charles

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
First of all read the owner's manual from front to back, several times. Many forget to do this, and miss a lot of pertinent information. Also, get yourself a copy of the workshop manual, either in paper or disc format. Check eBay, and "Parts for Sale" in this BB or the 164 Digest web site. This is essential if you intend on doing work yourself. Peruse all of the sections to get familiar with what you ended up buying into.

Also, look on eBay to look for the Fiat eper parts disc for listing and showing all Alfa parts. It's a great source of illustrations and part information, including effectivities. It works on Internet Explorer but not Mozilla. Costs somewhere around $10 or so.

There is a ton of easily available information on that 164 Digest site. Don't hesitate to get familiar with it.

good luck,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts