Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to get some dr.pepper.:).well got me to thinking.:eek:. what is the lowest temp. you have drivin you spider the top down.:eek::D.it's only 35 right now in cali.:D

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
50 in NY with the windows up and heat on.

i would drive it if it was colder with the top down but i dont have access to my car that much in the winter.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Freesing cold

I regurely drive mine at 40 F on spring mornings, but it's because I gone ol' an' soft. At 19 I once drove my old MGA for 120 miles on a sunny Febuarry day below freesing - 23F?? It teared its top passing a large truck in opposite direction. It's more fun at 75F, though - that's when I wrind down the windows an lay my deflector flat.
35 in Califonia, which end is that? Most be far north or high mountains.
Erik

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.no i live in sacramento,ca..200 klms east from san fransico..elv.25 feet..it just gets a wee bit cold here in the mornings. for 2 months.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Biancki - lovely area, I've visited SF and Cal just once. Flu to SF and went over Golden Bay Bridge to Napa, from thee true Sacremento and on to Yosemity, Deach Valley, Vegas and on, on and on.
Chevy Malibue was the wheels, not so good, should have had a Spider for the trip.
Sacramento - it's where your Gorvernator gorverns, or what ever role he plays??!!
Erik

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Bianchi - lovely area, I've visited SF and Cal just once. Fluw to SF and went over Golden Gate Bridge to Napa, from there true Sacremento and on to Yosemity, Deach Valley, Vegas and on and on and on - last bit from LA along the A1 to SF.
Chevy Malibue was the wheels, not so good, should have had a Spider for the trip.
Sacramento - it's where your Gorvernator gorverns, or what ever role he plays??!!
Erik

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I've driven mine in the mid-20's. Well bundled up before dawn and a fairly short distance. As mentioned - windows up and the heat on full blast.

We get lots of days here in Colorado that start in the '20s then warm up to the '50s with lots of warm mountain sunshine (most flatlanders express their amazement at this phenomenon. Not much air to filter it so it's super warm. Even when in the '30's you can be hot just wearing a long-sleeve t-shirt in full sunshine only to freeze as soon as you step into a shadow). That's excellent Spider weather. I put the top down in the garage so I don't have to put the top down later after it's been outside and the top is only in 30's or 40's. I used to park in a parking garage at work where the sun wouldn't hit it. Now that I don't I leave the top up and let the sun get it nice and warm before I put it down and go for drive at lunch.

That's pretty cold for Sac. My best buddy from college lives there - near Eastern Ave. and Fair Oaks Blvd. Weather is usually gorgeous when I visit in the winter. Absolutly horrendous in the summer!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Did it at around 40ish just yesterday evening (it was 60-plus in the morning so I just couldn't put thet top back up yet). Alfas have a good heater for an old car IMO, so I was just fine; I did roll the windows up though.

With a good ski cap and coat, I've done it at freezing and below (and a good sunny day). I actually really love it--very bracing! My wife thinks I'm bonkers.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
gv27??? what panel/colour??:):) most of it is cream colour, some black a wee bit grey..and a spash of red..:):):) trying to get her ready for new paint job soon just working from the inside ot now..new rug.. and i am making a new centre counsel from a porshe 944 to match up with the dash. and 1 peice door panels. they are in' clay' mold right now.. going to 'glass' them soon..

·
Registered
897 Posts
You guys are nuts! I think I may have done 45 once. But man, even 70 degrees can be chilly while at speed! I guess I'm just a wimp. But then, there are really only certain times I like the top down - hot summer evenings, crisp sunny fall days. First warm day of spring. But as for 90 degree August traffic, or 40 degree cloudy weather, no thanks!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Glad to hear I didn't miss anything important, didn't use the McNalley down there, but the Star Track map, thats done, you'll seen all the sights.
I especially liked the 3 wood nigro garden men in a front garden on Sunset Blv. what rael taste or whatever.........
Erik

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I actually have a special jacket my father bought me a couple of years back for cruising in the spider when it's cold. It's English - can't remember the maker right now but needless to say it has several royal seals on the liner - classic styling waxed cotton outer with a very warm fleece interior. Long style with a zipper that will zip up to give me leg room when sitting in the car. Absolutely perfect for the task.

Yeah, I know, I know. I'll save you the trouble.....I'm a dork!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nice Short Ride

Took my 89 Grad out this afternoon, was about 54 F. Nice to run her up after switching out the trans/diff fluids last weekend. Also sprayed compressed air in the seatbelt mechanics to "loosen" them up a bit.

Couldn't break even 175 degrees on the temp at full throttle after 30 minutes...nice. :)
Seems to shift better (with the 2nd synchro)....different after the fluid change (Shell Spirax 80W-90). Not bad but different. Don't know what was used prior by the PO but at at least it's clean and not the dirty "gunk" that came out :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts