Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before I even bought an Alfa this was something I wanted to do. I have one now... but the desire started years ago

Heres mine:

You can blame Alfaholics for their GTA-R but a ride in another Twin Spark car cemented the path...

Anyways I bought a core motor from Vito (The Admiral) and the head will be getting rebuilt out in Italy and I’ll be building the block here in Southern California.

I’ll give some details about what they are doing in the next post but this one will focus on the wiring itself. I plan to start with the OEM wiring harness and probably the intake too, but that part is still kinda in the air.

Here’s where I need some help:

(1) I was able to get a wiring diagram but it’s a low quality one and I’d like to get a good one I can zoom in on, or at least printout on a large piece of paper. Anyone have a link to a good one?

(2) I laid out the harness and identified the major components, there isn’t too many but I took a few pics of the ones I’m not sure about or need a confirmation on. These are below.

But first, the recipient... my backdated 1975 Giulia Nuova Super 1300. Pic was the last drive up Angeles Crest before putting it in the air to repair rust

Ok, the unknown connectors:

Identical 5-pin plugs, mostly separate from the rest of the harness

No idea what these are, on the same loom as above connectors

Ignition coils?.. and..?..

And finally, there’s these connectors near the ECU so these would’ve been inside the car

Thanks
Simon

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Virgilio of Virgilio Motorsport is a retired racer with a shop in Trapani, Italy and he will be doing all the work on the head. Heres a pic of the shop and Vito with him (notice all the trophies behind him!! haha

The head will be getting a full rebuild with streetablility as the main goal, especially since it will be using our lovely 91octane we have here in California. The head will get port work done with that in mind, new valves, valve stem seals, and anything else that it may need in the process. I will be using the Intake camshaft I got from alfar7 here, and its one of his RjR spec camshafts thats also meant as a street- car sport cam.

The plan for the bottom end is to build it here in SoCal using a Spruell kit, 85mm pistons, 10.5:1 CR, stock headgasket. Trying to make it a really good, strong motor thats built for reliability, not all-out power. Injection will be electronically controlled and thats all I will say about it for now.

Im very excited for this and hope to be driving it sometime this year haha

·
Registered
564 Posts
Before I even bought an Alfa this was something I wanted to do. You can blame Alfaholics for their GTA-R but a ride in another Twin Spark car cemented the path...

Anyways I bought a core motor from Vito (The Admiral) and the head will be getting rebuilt out in Italy and I’ll be building the block here in Southern California.

I’ll give some details about what they are doing in the next post but this one will focus on the wiring itself. I plan to start with the OEM wiring harness and probably the intake too, but that part is still kinda in the air.

Here’s where I need some help:

(1) I was able to get a wiring diagram but it’s a low quality one and I’d like to get a good one I can zoom in on, or at least printout on a large piece of paper. Anyone have a link to a good one?

(2) I laid out the harness and identified the major components, there isn’t too many but I took a few pics of the ones I’m not sure about or need a confirmation on. These are below.

But first, the recipient... my backdated 1975 Giulia Nuova Super 1300. Pic was the last drive up Angeles Crest before putting it in the air to repair rust

Ok, the unknown connectors:

Identical 5-pin plugs, mostly separate from the rest of the harness

No idea what these are, on the same loom as above connectors

Ignition coils?.. and..?..

And finally, there’s these connectors near the ECU so these would’ve been inside the car

Thanks
Simon
The 5 pin connectors should be for the Ingition coil Ignitors, they are attached to a heat sink that is bolted to the Alfa 75 OEM coils.

The 3 pin connectors, I don't recall.

The 2 pin connector and eyelets should bolt to the studs in the cam cover. so the plug is for water temp.

The connectors next to the ECU should be for power. The red one is for Ignition tune selection. It is supposed to be shunted for the ECU to reduce timing for the engine to use low octane. When no shunt is placed it needs Euro 98 RON fuel.

There is a very good diagram on this. I'll see if I can find it.

Reactions: 2mAn

·
Registered
564 Posts
There is a better one but this can get you started.

EDIT: Found a better quality of this although in Italian.

I've also came across this thread on AlfaBB. It appears your wiring harness is from a 164 and the extra plugs next to the ECU are for Diagnostic purposes.

see this link:

Attachments

Reactions: 2mAn

·
Registered
181 Posts
the 2 eyelets have red cables so they are power cables. the cam cover earth lugs have multiple smaller diameter black cables going into them.

The two 3 pin connectors I cant recall either, but the colours make think they connect to the chassis harness of the donor car. The pink and white cable is probably for the fuel pump, and the green/black one for the switched power to the relays of the ECU. The other wires are likely other engine inputs needed for the chassis, like a rev signal from the coils.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys, worst case my plan was pull the wiring back and play detective on wiring color but I figured this would be an easier start.

As has been mentioned already the coolant temp sensor and cam cover (grounds ..?..) we’re already identified.

Those two are red, which makes me think they are for the starter.

Other items yet to be identified that I recalled last night was the crank position sensor and it made me think that those two 5-pins are to the distributor and the other was the Crank Position Sensor. Would need to verify wiring colors as the connector is exactly the same.

Thanks for the help on that diagram, I want to print one out on a large piece of paper and laminate it

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is a better one but this can get you started.

EDIT: Found a better quality of this although in Italian.

I've also came across this thread on AlfaBB. It appears your wiring harness is from a 164 and the extra plugs next to the ECU are for Diagnostic purposes.

see this link:

Same wiring diagram in English. Be careful because I think that the color indications of the electric wires on the English diagram is not translated. For example on the diagram the indication G(ialo) V(erde) in Italian would be in English Yellow Green. N(ero) is Black. B(ianco) is white, so done a review of color translations Italian to English

Attachments

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
was that car with engine at willow this weekend?
No, that was several years ago. I think he ran it in VARA for a while with the B-Sedans but it was nowhere near legal for that class. The owner has several Alfa’s ranging from OEM to that carbon-fiber, twin spark insanity.pretty sure he moved his family to Vegas recently

·
Registered
173 Posts
At the moment I have Two Engines 2000 cc 75/Milano Twin spark, we may eventually tune for you or sell as donor running engines.
1 155 cylinder head
1 2000cc more engine

pick up your choice :)

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So these are my two main options when it comes to Headers. Centerline here in the US which appear to be a 4-1 versus the British option with much longer primaries. Looks like the Centerline is the torque-centric option versus the “long-tube” / “higher bhp” option.

I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts and experiences are with this. I have a long thread from like 10 years ago that seems like everyone was dug into their own products and ideologies. I wonder if time has come to show which piece is suited for what goal and if I’m off from my observation

1 - 20 of 77 Posts