Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
Terry,

I've been thinking about getting hold of some new bevel gears for quite a while but I've not yet taken apart one of my jacks. I was going to measure up and call the guys at HPC Gears here in the UK, who have a phenomenal range of gears off the shelf. The gears in those jacks are a known weak point, so why not get new ones made from quality metal?

Alex.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Great idea! Most of the ones I have seen in Alfa jacks have been poor quality pot metal that is prone to fracturing and losing teeth. I did find one with nice brass or bronze gears in a junk jack once. I used them to repair a jack with broken gears.

I'd be interested in what your supplier may have.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
Terry,

If you (or someone else) could post all relevant dimensions and the bevel angle (etc) then I'll take a look through my own hard copy of the HPC catalogue. Even so, as a manufacturer not a mere stockist, I know that they are amenable to producing short runs of gears if the demand is there.

Alex.

·
Super Moderator
12,310 Posts
I remember you reworking the earlier jack with more modern and available gears. Do you remember what the newer one was? Perhaps you could get some real rusty ones from APE, Keith Goreing, Dean Russell, or Karen McGowan, both as samples for Alex, and again to fix the old ones.
Thats the same way I do it to build the GOOD oil pumps. Buy a lot of junked cores at minimal costs to build a few real good pumps. I even ask my customers for cores offering a $20 credit, ($30 for helical steel gear pumps). My good parts stash then remains solid, the good metal recycler likes me, and I get to build better than new oil pumps.
For each Alfa with an oil pump, there was probably one ALSO with a jack.
Just a thought Terry.
Best, as Always!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one I got the brass gears out of was one I didn't even recognize. It had a different shape and geometry than the usual Spider jacks. Lou Shames sent it to me when I discovered that a jack he sold me was bad. I didn't specifically ask Dean, Keith, or Karen, but hoped they were lurking around the AlfaBB. I'm sure there are jacks out there, but I don't have everyone's email address to ask them directly.

This one I am trying to fix is as a favor to a friend. The owner of the jack is in his 80's and has a late 50's Giulietta he has owned for decades.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts