Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised to learn that Alfa Romeo did keep information on engine numbers for certain models (I assume) like my Junior Z. I have been under the assumption that engine numbers were not recorded from cars from the early '60s on.

When I applied for the Certificate, I got an email back asking that they could verify if the engine is original to the car if I would send over the number. And they indeed did.Note again, that Junior Zs had an "S" suffix within the engine number (Alfa did that on a few models in following years. But for the AR00536 engine and for 1972, it was only used on the Junior Z. Somebody told me that those engines had a different Cam profile but that is not yet verified).

Mike

·
Registered
831 Posts
I was surprised to learn that Alfa Romeo did keep information on engine numbers for certain models (I assume) like my Junior Z. I have been under the assumption that engine numbers were not recorded from cars from the early '60s on.

When I applied for the Certificate, I got an email back asking that they could verify if the engine is original to the car if I would send over the number. And they indeed did.Note again, that Junior Zs had an "S" suffix within the engine number (Alfa did that on a few models in following years. But for the AR00536 engine and for 1972, it was only used on the Junior Z. Somebody told me that those engines had a different Cam profile but that is not yet verified).

Mike

View attachment 1606609
That's interesting. I hope that only applies to the 1600 Z's. Back when you could get this information for free I received the following documentation (with no reference to engine number). Maybe they now supply that information for the 1300 Z's? I have no reason to believe that the 1300 motor that came with the car is not original. It's AR10530....... with no S.

-John

R: 1970 Alfa Romeo JrZ Information
Yahoo/Alfa

• CENTRO DOCUMENTAZIONE ALFA ROMEO (FGA) <[email protected]>
    To:[email protected]

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:09 AM

Dear Mister Carden,

with reference to your request we are informing you as follows.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1800341 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 1300 Junior Z (105.93), manufactured on the 20th July 1970 and sold on the 26th August 1970 in Guastalla, Reggio Emilia, Italy .
    The body colour is red (AR 519), with black skai interiors.

Yours, Sincerely,

Marco Fazio

Tel. +39 02 444 29 115
    Mob +39 334 62 95 381
    Fax +39 02 444 28 152
    [email protected]

Alfa Romeo Automobilismo Storico
    Centro Direzionale
    Viale Alfa Romeo
    20020 Arese (MI) Italy

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Mike, it's sort of the other way around: Most early records do not show engine numbers. When Alfa changed from had-written ledgers to computerized data, they were able to include engine numbers in the records (see this post). I'm not sure when the transition occurred (I would guess probably about 1970) and/or which models were the first ones witch computerized records.

Then, there is the policy issue (management decision) of which records are no longer revealed, presumably due to privacy laws. For example, many early records list the first owner by name and location (for cars sold in Italy -- for exported cars, they list only the recipient (importer) in that country).

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike - I always assumed your car was Le Mans Blue.
No. It is AR328 and the paint code tag is still in the middle hole on the underside of the rear hatch. But this is an interesting fact for the Junior Z as well. it is indeed Blu Medio on all the other Alfa models. However, on the Junior Z, it was actually called Blu Zagato. But it had the same paint code.

To make things even worse, the shade of blue is also different. Blu Zagato has more yellow/ green in it and is decidedly lighter than Blu Medio. Most cars these days have been repainted using the Blu Medio mix (As this is what the computer and mixing devices spit out). That applies for my car as well. The color under the trim inside or in the trunk is the original color which is even more stunning in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
00536 engine is ( also ? ) Giulia sprint gt VELOCE, only the veloce engine and yes cam profile different ( i think 3 or 4 bhp more than 00526 engine ) . Rare engine as it is the correct replacement for GTA blockspeople broke down in racing

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
00536 engine is ( also ? ) Giulia sprint gt VELOCE, only the veloce engine .................. Rare engine as it is the correct replacement for GTA blocks people broke down in racing
Hello Portello. At the risk of hijacking this thread. I am not sure why you are saying that 00536 is the correct replacement for GTA blocks Can you clarify please.

Thanks

Ken

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I was actually wrong.I meant "correct" when one had to replace an engine block on a GTA 1600 following the very likely event of a brake down ( crack block ) during racing..I was told that stock of 00502/A run out quickly at Alfa and the ones used as a replcament were 00536 , that back in the late '60. Nowadays if anyone wanted to find a technically suitable block for a GTA 1600 ( I belive due to oil filter position and other things I cannot remember right now ) they would have to go for a 536 ( unless of course the CORRECT one could be sourced ). I guess one would have to ask an expert. I was born in 1966 and am the wrong one to ask.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I was actually wrong.I meant "correct" when one had to replace an engine block on a GTA 1600 following the very likely event of a brake down ( crack block ) during racing..I was told that stock of 00502/A run out quickly at Alfa and the ones used as a replcament were 00536 , that back in the late '60. Nowadays if anyone wanted to find a technically suitable block for a GTA 1600 ( I belive due to oil filter position and other things I cannot remember right now ) they would have to go for a 536 ( unless of course the CORRECT one could be sourced ). I guess one would have to ask an expert. I was born in 1966 and am the wrong one to ask.
As far as I know any of the 105 series 1600 blocks would receive the special GTA engine parts if one wanted a 1600. Maybe an unnumbered block would be best. Or any 1600 block with provenance to the chassis.

k

1 - 9 of 9 Posts