Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the tear down of my JrZ for paint. I would consider the car in very good condition however, when you start pulling things apart on an almost 50 year old car nuts seize, rubber crumbles, etc. etc. I've been acquiring parts (good used & NOS) for a number of years. That being said I will have a lot of used (mostly good) JrZ parts available for other JrZ owners when I'm finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Keep us Z fans up to date on the progress.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Delllta, im about to start a 1600 restoration now. and almost all exterior trim is gone or damaged, I will be interested in parts.

parts i could use from a 1300 is

Door handles both sides outside.
Trim around plexi front
headlights
rear bumper (i know they are different)
trim for rear bumper
door mirrors
doorhandles inside.
mud guards

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Looks like the pieces in your picture are all pretty good and reusable. I would go with as much original stuff instead of replacing.

@jrzagato , some of the parts you are looking for could be sourced easily. IIRC, door handles inside and mirrors are standard Alfa fare. So fiding good used ones or repros should be easy. Rear bumper rubber is reproduced for both models. Headlights is also standard Alfa stuff. Door handles are shared with later series Fulvia Sports, the chrome pieces are reproduced but fit badly. I rechromed mine and had the black housings repainted. Trim around plexi might be a bit harder to find but they pop up every now and then.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Reactions: jrzagato

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I removed the fuel tank. The inside looks exceptionally clean. Aside from some outside surface rust the tank's in great shape. I'm going to bring it to a shop to boil out the inside and media blast & paint the outside. Is there a source for the felt straps that go on the top and bottom? If not, suitable replacement material?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,955 Posts
Is there a source for the felt straps that go on the top and bottom? If not, suitable replacement material?
I can't point to the thread, but seem to recall that subject discussed here on the BB - probably in the 750/101 section. My memory is that closed cell foam, rather than felt, was recommended, since closed cell foam won't retain water and rust the tank and straps.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Continue to work on the tear down. SS trim is at the chrome/bumper/refinishing shop, fuel tank is back (looks like new) and is on the shelf. Andy Shank in California is going to do the bodywork & paint; he's already got the rear bumper and has repaired, straightened, welded, etc. it.

I pulled the cowl (& accompanying weatherstrip) and wheel well weatherstrip; where does one get these?

Interior is complete and in pretty good shape (there is a split seam on the drivers seat & the front dash panel [next to windshield] is warped badly). I picked up a reproduction dash panel a couple of years ago from Dean Russell (nice piece) and that will go in. I'm undecided on whether to reupholster the entire seat(s) or have the drivers seat sympathetically repaired.

The motor & gearbox are almost ready to be pulled (I just need more time!).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Continue to work on the car. Removed the motor today. After I remove the hard brake/clutch lines & booster it's ready to go. I've been in contact with Nancy Hendriks in Holland (Het Junior Zagato Archief) and she believes she can get me the paint formula for AR519 but her contact is in Italy and due to the virus doesn't know when she can get the information. I found many parts I still needed in AFRA in Italy. Unfortunately, due to the virius, everything is on hold.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Continue to work on the car. Removed the motor today. After I remove the hard brake/clutch lines & booster it's ready to go. I've been in contact with Nancy Hendriks in Holland (Het Junior Zagato Archief) and she believes she can get me the paint formula for AR519 but her contact is in Italy and due to the virus doesn't know when she can get the information. I found many parts I still needed in AFRA in Italy. Unfortunately, due to the virius, everything is on hold.
2020_03190006.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pulled the pedal box assembly out of the car. That was quite the puzzle; you have to partially disassemble it to remove. I'm guessing there was originally a seal on the clutch pivot arm but if so it's long gone. There is a "cup" that I think would house a seal or felt washer? Anyone have a source for these (should be the same as 69/70 floor mounted pedal cars)?
2020_03310001.JPG

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
I’m liking following along with your story here. Thank you for sharing.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cleaned, media blasted, painted, & assembled the pedal box assembly. I contacted every Alfa vendor I could think of and nobody carries parts (other then the plugs) for the pedal box assembly. Sure looks like seals of some sort originally went on both shafts. I sourced metric o-rings & installed them onto the housing (there is areas on each end for them to sit in). In addition, I bonded the cup onto the clutch pivot arm (just free floated before) and packed both shafts with waterproof grease. I think it should seal well.

The car is being picked up and transported to the shop on Tuesday so I've got some more work to do between now & then
2020_04100003.JPG
2020_04100005.JPG

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stripped the car as far as I was going to do and it shipped on Tuesday. Arrived at Andy Schanks shop and he's already working on it. Andy tells me this is the sixth JrZ he has done. He knows the nuances of these cars.
2014_10100005.JPG
2020_04120002.JPG
JrZ20.jpg

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No update except to say all of the metal work is almost complete and will shortly move to another shop for further teardown and paint. As I inventory parts I've been listing extras/spares/replaced parts for sale. I just listed a pair of original rear hatch panels in the classified section.

-John

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: most of the metal work is done, car continues to be disassembled, glass is out, components are being pre-fitted. I think everything is moving along nicely!
JrZFront.jpg
JrZNose.jpg
JrZBack.jpg

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Nice! Hope you stainless nose trim fits well.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fred, I'm reusing the original nose trim (had a shop re-polish it) so should be ok with that.

The metal work on the car is done. Now for hours of prep and paint. The new front dash piece is installed. I think this is virtually impossible to install without removing the windshield. Color is being added various locations. Moving along.
JrZside.jpg
JrZprofile.jpg
dash#1.jpg
dash#2.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts