Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems i don't think i have the key for the lock on the fuel door. anyone know of a source of key blanks for that? or... is there a key that i could pick up at a hardware store that might work?

other than calling a professional locksmith, is there any way to get that thing unlocked?

thanks-
Jason

·
Registered
518 Posts
My 1300 Z does not have a locking hatch door, it has a locking cap. However if the lock is the same as the hatch lock on a Fulvia Zagato then it is a very simple plate on the back of the barrel. These locks are really common and inexpensive, I would be inclined to carefully drill out the centre of the lock, I guess though it depends on how much your local locksmith is going to charge.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
huh! i just assumed that they all had a locking gas door, but after reading your post, AllthingsZagato, i looked at some pictures of other cars and, you're right! none show the locking hatch that my car has. wonder when that thing got put on there...

with yours, do you open it just by pushing on the leading edge?

-Jason

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Jason -
I just re-read your post. Doh! I have the locking gas cap as it seems everybody else does.
And yes, I just push on the leading edge and the trailing edge opens.
SO! It seems that you might not have a REAL Jr. Z. after all:p

·
Registered
134 Posts
Jason,

The JZ gas door, and the frame behind it, on the is the same one as on all the 105 series Alfas, only its mounted up-side down in the body.
So with a new gas door you lose the hole for the lock.
Here in Europe the fuel has always been expensive but when the prices started to rise in the 70's & 80's locks appeared on the gas tanks and because everyone had his/her one system, it was either on the gas cap or the gas door.
When I bought my car I didn’t have a fuel tank but I had an address in Germany where I could find one and many more parts. When I bought it, it had a locked cap, luckily I had an extra key with my car and it was a match. The question is, did I buy my old tank back or is the lock simple to pick… the guy I bought the tank from (Frank Hanel) also knows the guy I bought the car from……..

Don

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SO! It seems that you might not have a REAL Jr. Z. after all:p
aw! i knew the price seemed too good to be true...

So with a new gas door you lose the hole for the lock.
that's a good thought. i sure don't need the lock, so maybe (someday) i'll replace the door with an unlocking one. thanks for the tip.

The question is, did I buy my old tank back or is the lock simple to pick… the guy I bought the tank from (Frank Hanel) also knows the guy I bought the car from……..
yep, sounds fishy.

thanks for all the replies.
-Jason

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a short postscript on the gas door key:

i received the rumored third set of keys from my father, and these included two keys in addition to the door and ignition keys. the first candidate didn't fit the lock in the gas door, but the second one did. it was quite a surprise, then, when i turned it and found that the door would not open... i UN-turned it and, sure enough, the door opened right up; it had been unlocked to begin with! i never thought to try to open it, assuming that it was locked. oh well, now at least i have a key if i ever do feel like locking it.

the gas door key has Miraglio on its head (along with the number 6124 stamped in below), and Torino on the flip side. Miraglio makes components / accessories for cars even now, and is still based in Torino, where my car was sold new. based on when the car left Italy, i could guess that the lock was added to the gas door early in the 70's.

the remaining mystery key says "Lessi" on one side and Torino on the other. there is a furniture company called Lessi in Como... maybe i've got someone's dresser key?

-Jason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts