Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I picked up a 1991 Spider Veloce and I am super stoked. She's a beauty and in very good condition. I am looking to get a black boot for the convertible top but there are all these bits I need. There are clips and frame and the cover itself. Does anyone have a suggestion on where and what I should buy? I have done the Google search and I already own a 2017 Giulia so I know Centerline and other vendors. I am looking more for a recommendation.

On another thought, my wife is quite the seamstress (both a regular and a serger machine) and I thought maybe I could actually just have her sew one for me. She makes bags and has tools to do
leather work, rivets, etc. Has anyone ever seen a sewing pattern?

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Classic Alfa in the UK is your friend here. You will easily make up the shipping cost with the lower price, and they have all the bits you need.

BTW -- Congrats, and your car looks great!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Classic Alfa in the UK is your friend here. You will easily make up the shipping cost with the lower price, and they have all the bits you need.

BTW -- Congrats, and your car looks great!
Thanks. I looked at them a moment ago. Looks very nice. I still don't understand which parts I need but I did drop them an email.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My favorite color spider, good luck!

1993 Spider Veloce
2016 4c Coupe
2018 4c Spider

·
Registered
975 Posts
Where are you? I have a ratty spare (Series 2) that you can measure, and you can also see where and how the clips are attached.

Mo in NJ

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Your S4 would need the veloce type boot cover. So not the one with all the horrid white clips showing at the back;)
I don't think Classic alfa does that one.

your seats are tan...are the carpets then black?
if tan seats and tan carpets, then the persenning should really be tan too?

here is what you need:
the pair of plastic side wings (140$) : OKP sells these with the necessary hooks already riveted on (otherwise the hooks would be another 50$!)
OKP GmbH

the vinyl cover obviously, here in Black (300$)
OKP GmbH

or, tan
OKP GmbH

then the finishing touch, a slim bungee that joins the two flaps together going across the width of the car (but that is an option, it works fine without this, and this you'd find in any campers shop, I'd guess)

what you will need to do is glue the vinyl cover to those big plastic side wings. You need a proper contact glue because there is a lot of pressure exerted fitting this thing! It is a pita really and I hardly use mine, but it does really tidy up the car's appearance when fitted, that's for sure!

so you are at 450$ - you should get some tax knocked off (either 16% or 19%, depending) as you are in the US, plus postage costs obviously.
OKP is a good shop to deal with.

OR, you find a good used one (classifieds here or keep an eye out on ebay etc), stick it on the car and drive off:)

NB: if your car is missing these little chrome turrets forward of the trunk, then you need a pair of these as well (but your spider should have them already)
OKP GmbH

oh, and what a lovely spider you have:)

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Dom, FYI—

Classic Alfa also sells the S4 type top boot in both black and tan along with the plastic side panels and other parts.

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Dom, FYI—

Classic Alfa also sells the S4 type top boot in both black and tan along with the plastic side panels and other parts.
I thought they must have....somewhere!
But, to be honest, I just can't find it on their website: they have one for the 750, the duetto, and the 70-84

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
They call it a "hoodbag." Here are the parts I bought for mine:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I just went and ordered the the Hoodbag and Panels from Classic Alfa. I also had a hard time finding it on the site so I just emailed them and they sent me the order list. I have the support screws but when it arrives, I'll have to see how it fits. I'll post a pic when it arrives. I did opt for the black cover as the card does have a mix of tan and black. I think the black will look sharp with the silver.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where are you? I have a ratty spare (Series 2) that you can measure, and you can also see where and how the clips are attached.

Mo in NJ
Thanks for the offer. Very kind. I do think it might be cool to make a pattern but since I just ended up buying one, I will use that as the template.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Thanks! I just went and ordered the the Hoodbag and Panels from Classic Alfa. I also had a hard time finding it on the site so I just emailed them and they sent me the order list. I have the support screws but when it arrives, I'll have to see how it fits. I'll post a pic when it arrives. I did opt for the black cover as the card does have a mix of tan and black. I think the black will look sharp with the silver.
Tip-- When gluing the boot to the plastic "side panels" do not put the adhesive on the top side of the panels. There is a flap of vinyl that goes around and under those panels, and use the contact adhesive to attach the vinyl to the bottom side of the panels. This will make the top (i.e. the visible part) look smoother.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tip-- When gluing the boot to the plastic "side panels" do not put the adhesive on the top side of the panels. There is a flap of vinyl that goes around and under those panels, and use the contact adhesive to attach the vinyl to the bottom side of the panels. This will make the top (i.e. the visible part) look smoother.
Thanks. Have you or has anyone experimented with velcro?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts