Alfa Romeo Forums banner
81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm saddened to read this news, I haven't been on BB in months. I only corresponded with Jim a few times, wiring diagram request and a few newbie questions. Jim always responded and was willing to help in anyway possible. He once responded to my question about a couple of wires that hold dash vents in places with "surprise in route" vents & wires arrive a few days later, more than I needed and would not accept any payment. Who does this kind gesture these days? Only an angel who loves people and these cars. I've read hours of his threads and replies, so much knowledge and love for the AR and fellow members! Love and prayers to Papajam's family. RIP.

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
A kind, knowledgeable and friendly man has left his mark on me. I never met Jim, but corresponded with him, and every single time he went WAY above and beyond to help. My goodness, such a loss to our community. Jaci my prayers are for you and your family, Jim THANK YOU and you now can soar on eagles wings.

·
Premium Member
6,011 Posts
It's funny, although we never met in person Jim and I developed a great friendship over the years through phone and email working out various Alfa related challenges. I always felt fortunate that I we had such a special bond. Now that I see the outpouring of similar stories it occurs to me that he treated everybody as though they were special. Just makes me miss him all that much more...

·
Registered
1964 Giulia Sprint GT
137 Posts
In memory of Jim, one thing I will stick my head over the parapet and say, is that this is also an opportunity to take a step back and acknowledge the others before they are gone. We all know who they are. I wonder if they do...or just part of their DNA like Papajam. Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
My condolences to Jim's family...

I only recently joined this community, having just recently purchased my first Alfa, but in that short period of time I had multiple opportunities to interact with Jim. He got me the wiring diagram for my car, and was invaluable in helping me rebuild my throttle linkage though his posts here. His generosity with his time and knowledge was inspiring, and led me to subscribe to this forum just to try and give back a little. Rest in Peace.

Reactions: jaxstand

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
It's funny, although we never met in person Jim and I developed a great friendship over the years through phone and email working out various Alfa related challenges. I always felt fortunate that I we had such a special bond. Now that I see the outpouring of similar stories it occurs to me that he treated everybody as though they were special. Just makes me miss him all that much more...
Jim was a better person in person than he was in print... if that is possible.

·
Premium Member
13,887 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Since receiving Jaci's call about Jimmy's unexpected death I have refrained from posting to the BB, for me it is a denial response, it poses a finality I do not want to accept, a very similar response I went through loosing a sibling just over a year ago. Jimmy was my friend, a friendship of 20 years or so but quickly escalated after we decided to strip our GT's together and have the shells restored years ago, a project that Jimmy chronicled on the BB that ended in disaster. I being more private I did not share my story. We worked on both our cars together sharing a passion we all can relate to. Jimmy was my friend. We spoke at least once a week, calling each other at work and at home, getting together at least once a month sharing laughs, and Alfa stories. I miss my friend. I haven't read all the posts on the BB about Jimmy, but I know they say all the same thing. How knowledgeable, friendly, and giving he was, how he has helped the newest to the most seasoned Alfisti, and how he prioritized other peoples projects and time over his own. He taught and he made you think, he made you a better person. To this the Alfa community owes Jaci a Giant Thank You, letting him share his passion and zest with the rest of us. Jimmy was small in stature but with the hugest of hearts and one with the largest of shoes, a person I will never see again in my lifetime. We have lost an Icon of a person, a blessing if you have been touched by him, and if not, will never know the feeling, having to settle for reading and listening to the stories of his lore, sounds more mythical or fantasy like. But so true. I miss my friend Jimmy.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Sincerest condolences to Jim's family and friends. I never met him in person... just on the pages of this forum, where Jim set an unquestionably high standard with his contributions, generosity and respectfulness. Hopefully, his memory and legacy will continue on with AlfaBB members that follow his lead on how to share our love and experience of Alfa ownership.

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
I read the news today, oh boy ……..(from The Beatles song "A Day in The Life") Kind of sums up my feelings right now.
Talked to Jim on the phone many times over the last 13 years since I joined ABB. Emailed, exchanged Alfa books, bought rebuilt 1969 1750 USA brake master cylinder from him. Met him at the Toronto Alfa convention in 2012. What a kind and helpful man. He will be missed!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I just heard the sad news on Papajam passing from brad Fischer. I never met him but tapped into his very extensive knowledge on gtvs. He rebuilt my master cylinder on my 66 gtv, great service, expert results..No doubt he was a genius type alfa guy that was there to assist and advise on alfas A to Z. He made his mark with Alfa Romeo!!!!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Jim was my Alfa mentor, and he and Jaci were just as sweet a couple as you could ever want to meet.

When I bought my GTV back in 02, I posted on the Alfa mailing list looking for help with a PPI. Jim not only answered the call but did a 3-hour inspection and gave me a 4-page list of notes complete with compression numbers etc. That was only the beginning of the kindness and generousity he showed me for most of the last 20 years. I learned so much from him and he was truly one of those people I thought would just always be around.

Attached is a picture of Jim flogging my car at the AROC convention 10 or so years back. I’ll always remember him grinning ear to ear at the sound of the Alfa twin-cam.

Rest In Peace Jim, you made my life richer and better!

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
My wife bought me a 74 Spider Veloce for Christmas, and we've had some issues trying to get her started, which brought me to this forum. One of the posts on a 1974 fuse box referenced Papajam and the guru he was. I joined the forums because of it and was excited to seek his expertise as so many others have. Sadly, after joining I learned that Jim had passed.

While I never got the opportunity to meet or speak to Jim, in some way I feel the loss many Alfisti are experiencing. I wish I had the chance to work and talk with him. May he rest in peace.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Rest In Peace Jim and my condolences to Jaci and their family and friends.

When I purchased my first Alfa and joined AROC a few years ago, I contacted Jim to request copies of technical literature. He responded very quickly and thoroughly, and with good humor and patience with my newbie questions. It was as if I were an old friend asking for a favor he was happy to grant. He was generous with his time and knowledge.

·
Administrator
702 Posts
Since I became a member in 2004 Jim has always supported me with my crazy idea to drive a four-cylinder Spica Alfa in Europe. He was always helpful and I learned a lot from him.
His knowledge, but also his patient and balanced character, will be missed not only by me, but certainly also by the whole forum.

sincere condolences from the Baltic Sea

Bernhard

·
Registered
759 Posts
Very sad about this. Jim was a great guy. Very helpful on the phone. He refurbished a dual circuit ('69) master cylinder for me, and wouldn't take payment for it. He asked that I donate money to this site instead (back when Simon owned it). That was about 10 years ago when I was building my race car. He also gave me that invaluable wiring diagram for my Spider. I saved his email from 12/09 when he sent it to me.

He told me his internet handle was a holdover from when he was a DJ at a radio station. Cool guy!

81 - 100 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.