Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I have always loved Alfas, and I finally bought a Milano. Now, before that I had a jetta that I had tuned to about 290 FW\HP. I spent about 6 grand on ALL the tuning. Now I got a milano, bigger engine, RWD, good right? Well I hope so, i just learned that itls gonna cost almost 10 grand to get 275 BHP. So i'm kinda bummed, my fellow Alfa lovers, convince me a made a good move dropping the VW.
Thanks,
-Oilpit-

·
Registered
414 Posts
That's what happens when you go from a mass produced, rather popular car to a car that didn't sell well when new and is now about 20 years old. VW, Audi, BMW, and Honda are very popular cars and this results in a lot of manufacturers making tuning parts. The more competition, the cheaper most of these parts are. Once you stray away from the mainstream (Alfa, Saab, Volvo, etc.), the more it's going to cost to tune the car.

That said, you've obviously done the right thing. Keep in mind, more hp doesn't alway equal more fun. I'd take the time to enjoy the car for what it is before you go all nuts with upgrades. These cars are pretty darn fun right from the factory. Spend the money making the car safe (good tires, brakes, and suspension) before adding the go-fast parts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That's reassuring, just a few things
1. I would rather saw off my arm than drive a Honda.
2. The Alfa is more fun stock than my tuned VW (and sounds better)

P.S. Greg before you go bashing Jettas, think of handling, my jetta cornered like a slot car, 'Stangs cant get around turns at all.
Thanks
-oilpit-

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,083 Posts
P.S. Greg before you go bashing Jettas, think of handling, my jetta cornered like a slot car, 'Stangs cant get around turns at all.
Thanks
-oilpit-
I'm pretty sure Greg was making a point by being sarcastic there, oilpit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks
-oilpit-
Having owned and raced a heavily modified MKIV Jetta 1.8t myself (I'm assuming this is what you're coming from, correct me if I'm wrong), I can attest to the fact that the front wheel drive, 60/40 F/R weight distribution, non-camber adjustable MacPherson strut front suspension, Torsion-beam ("solid-axle") rear suspension, and 3000lb curb weight preclude the platform from "handling like a slot-car".

I realize performance is relative though, so if you only have an SUV with which to compare, that statement may seem valid. However, once you get your Milano dialed in, you will be extremely pleased with the handling and the Jetta won't seem so hot.

-damen

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
My point about Mustangs was intended to point out that comparing any two cars strictly on a horsepower per dollar basis is silly. Especially on an Alfa Romeo forum.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
u want cheap speed, get a saab or volvo t5, puts those volkswagens to shame, and alot more exclusive too

·
Registered
936 Posts
Oilpit,

if you want serious horsepower from your Alfa V6, with simple bolt-ons, the very same Greg Gordon on this thread is the guy to talk to.

that is, if he is still selling those supercharger kits . . . Greg ??

·
Registered
659 Posts
He still is - Last I heard he was waiting to get a chance to test fit the new batch of kits which he (and I) is very excited about. Couple that with a new ECU, water/meth injection and an intercooler and you're around 300hp, rwhp or bhp depending on what size pulley slash amount of boost you're running.

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
185 Posts
correction its a VR6. the difference is the single head. its a 10.5 degree V6 and is a **** good engine but should still have similar preformance stock to a milano verde. well except for the handling

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
correction its a VR6. the difference is the single head. its a 10.5 degree V6 and is a **** good engine but should still have similar preformance stock to a milano verde. well except for the handling
The GLI was a great car but as you mentioned ossodiseppia it has a 6 speed which is totally unnececary and enough understeer to feed a third world country.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts