Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Desk in the Garage
I read all this news about Alfa Romeo returning to the USA and get excited as anyone else sometimes. Then I get to thinking. We, in the good old USA have the greatest collection of vintage ( that’s what they are now) Alfa Romeo automobiles ever.!! So, take heart, polish up that baby in your garage, then take her out for a drive so others can get a view of what they can not have..
Sorry, I kind of get caught up in the moment sometimes.
Being the owner of an Alfa Romeo Automobile back in the late fifties/sixties made you a sort of a different person, one who knew more about the value of what driving could and was about. There were Triumph, MG’s, even Jaguars running about. But Italian cars were sort of in a group by themselves. Ferrari, of course, was at the top of everybody’s want list of desirable cars. Those of us who had not the necessary bag of coins to buy that Ferrari, sort of settled for the Alfa Romeo, it was a good second choice, in my humble opinion. Where else could you be seen behind the wheel of an Italian sports car !! Did we enjoy it, you bet !! The sound of an Alfa was like nothing else in those days. That smooth 1300 cc engine making all those rpms was like music to our ears. We used to look for water crossing the road so we could practice our skid recovery. Sounds silly, I know, but we would do anything to just practice our handling of the Alfa’s.
Now, we may drive them to a parking lot to show them off to others, we may even drive them on an outing with other automobiles. But I some times wonder if those of us that have the pleasure and the blessing of owning these wonderful cars, really do appreciate what you have in your garage !!!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
You got that right! That's why we own these oft frustrating machines, because they are unique and they seem to have a soul. If Alfa ever returns, will the new ones have the same?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I’ve owned my only Alfa Romeo for less than two years, and I wasn’t looking for an Alfa when I bought this one. However, when my sister told me that The Alfa was for sale, I was ready for a “special” car to enjoy – especially if I could drive it on a daily basis. We were halfway home with the Spider on the trailer when my wonderful and supportive wife suddenly summed it up beautifully:

“Oh my God!!! You own an ITALIAN SPORTS CAR!!!!!

**** straight!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts