Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noted Alfisti artist, Tennessee Chapter and BB member, and dear friend Jerry Quinlisk passed this life yesterday.

Nancy has asked for some time to be alone to deal with her loss. Someone from the chapter will post when it's a good time to contact her.

This is of course a huge loss to us all and we're all heartbroken. Pray for Jerry and Nancy.

·
Premium Member
13,106 Posts
So sad to hear that news. I never met him but I liked his posts and his drawings.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
I recently came across my copy of "The Alfa BET" that Jerry wrote and illustrated, and planned to see him at the upcoming Nashville AROC convention. Sadly, not to be. RIP Jerry

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From Bob McKeown, TN Chapter President:

The first official act of my presidency is, unfortunately, the saddest duty. I'm very sorry to tell everyone that our dear friend Jerry Quinlisk passed away yesterday.

Many of you know that Jerry had waged an ongoing battle with a failing liver and cancer for several years. A new liver gave him renewed hope for a while, but his cancer came back and ultimately took him.

I don't know if Jerry had an enemy. I remarked to Bob Simonds that I enjoyed every minute I ever spent around Jerry - and I can't really say that of many people! Last time I saw him, I was delivering a Duetto engine of his that I had rebuilt. Jerry was excited about the prospect of getting the car back together after many years in pieces.

If you're on Facebook, look up Nancy Quinlisk's page, Scroll down a bit to the two pictures of Jerry taken by John Partipilo less than a month ago. Jerry was an accomplished artist, and he looks very much at home - and at peace - in his studio.

I'll let everyone know when I hear about arrangements. All I can say for certain now is that Jerry will be missed. God bless you, friend.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
My condolences to Nancy, family and friends. I met him only briefly at a convention, which confirmed to me what I had learned about Jerry on AlfaBB: He was so much fun to be and have around. He will be missed!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Very sad to hear of Jerry's passing. What a great bright light we have lost. A wonderful spirit. My sincere condolences to Jerry's family and friends.

John Duncan

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
My sincere condolences to Nancy, family, and friends on Jerry's passing. I know all too well, the expectations coupled with the grief when an Alfisti "personality" is lost. We have lost more than our share in recent years.

As others have stated, he was a joy to be around and associate with through the bb and conventions that we both attended. He will be missed as well as his artistry and wit.

He worked with me with Kinko's to allow his "Bible" episode of his book to be reprinted on the back of one of my jackets, when they questioned copyright on the image. I will always be grateful for his assistance and wear the jacket in Jerry and Pat's memory.

My best to all who knew him; he has left a permanent part of himself to the Alfa community through his Alfa artistry and episodal depictions.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
I'd never met Jerry, but I came to know him a bit through his paintings, a few of which I purchased - three of them are hanging on my walls, and another on a book shelf, as background to a display of my various Alfa Romeo scale models... it doesn't seem like much, but this is how Jerry had become a part of my home, and my life. I've had many comments from house guests on these paintings, and I always proudly informed them that these were the work of an Alfa friend of mine. I haven't looked at them closely in a few years now, but I will do so once I get home later today.

Good-bye, Jerry; I will miss you.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
This is sad news indeed.
In the early days of this Alfa BB I always looked forward to the next creative endeavor from Jerry because they were always beautifully crafted, reverent and irreverent, passionate but most importantly fun and a little child-like.
I admired his abilities and wished now that I had expressed to him my gratitude for his work. I hope a belated "Thank You Jerry, you will be missed" will be received by his wonderful soul.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On Jerry's request, there will be no funeral service. Sometime this Spring we will have a party in his honor at his favorite art gallery in Franklin, TN. Nancy or someone from TN chapter will let the group know when it's coming. We know he loved this group. May he rest in peace.

The Nashville convention is discussing how we will honor him at his "hometown" convention this summer. We'll probably name the art show we're planning in his honor, and other ideas are coming in as well.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Like Bob said, If Jerry had an enemy I don't know who it could be. Everyone loved Jerry because Jerry loved everyone. At least that's how I saw him. When I was around, I always saw Jerry greet newcomers to the Alfa club with a smile you'd expect to be reserved for dear, long lost friends. In fact, all of you who never met him, you can considered yourself Jerry's long lost friends. Because if you own an Alfa, or even had a good Alfa story, you are Jerry's friend.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Jerry was a good guy and a true member of our very special tribe. People like Jerry help define what this is all about. He will be missed.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
So sorry to hear this. Just the other day I wondered how he was as I had not seen him on the forum for quite some time. I purchased his Alfa Bet book and very much still enjoy it. We once exchanged "Reviews" on our favorite places to eat in Nashville and Franklin. R.I.P.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Amazing Artist, Amazing Man

I know this post is way late but I had to send condolences to Nancy and all JQ's friends and family. Jerry will always hold a special place in my heart and I am eternally grateful for the relationship we had. I am so lucky to have several pieces of original art that JQ created. Every piece hangs in a special place in my home or at my office.

God bless you Jerry, rest in peace. You will be with me always.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Wow, I missed this last year and just got a notice yesterday. Sorry to hear this. I'm in the middle of a move and am donating a lot of items. I ran across my copy of Alfa bet last week. I donated it so someone else would enjoy Jerry's work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Alfa Tango

He was talented artist and he loved his Alfa's. A really good human being. We had many a talk when he cheered me up when things were not the best. I hope I did the same for him. I have this original as well as others hanging on my walls. I am going to post every now and then just to keep his legacy alive. If anyone has a good JQ story perhaps you would share.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
I enjoyed his paintings when he was active on this site several years ago. He had a distinct, folk-art style I appreciate. I had no idea he had health issues. I'm sorry to learn he's gone.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,015 Posts
Looks like this Giulia needs some Benzina. But it is screaming along at 6000 rpm and 140 kph!! Spirited drive! Miss you Jerry. He gave this to me at the KY Alfa Convention. Reserved for cutting limes and lemmons at the bar. May need to frame it. Jerry lives on!!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts