Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the link, Ten Cars That Are Great To Drive, But Terrible To Own

While I find Jalopnik articles amusing, I was not sure I agreed with their pick of the number 4 best car to drive yet worst to own.

From what I read here, everyone seems to have good ownership stories of their Montys.

What are your thoughts?

JP

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
JP, That is an interesting article. I suppose that listing the Montreal with a Bugatti Veyron, any McLaren, an E-type Jaguar and a Mercedes AMG reminds me of that statement that "any publicity is good publicity". Compared to a $21,000 oil change for the Bugatti the three gallons of top grade oil for the Montreal's dry sump lubrication system and a $5 filter are virtually free. Tires for the Bugatti run 30,000 to 40,000 and only last 2,500 miles? I drove that far this year and can not even detect any wear on the (new but crummy) set of Pirelli P-4000's the car came with. I'd much prefer Michelin's but not at $10,000 each or $16 per mile just for tire wear!

In the article they make a big deal about the Spica fuel injection pump. Seriously? The Spica on my '74 spider went 100,000 miles and I only had the car in the shop one time while I owned it but that was for a plastic end for a linkage rod on the Spica and it cost about $50 to fix (in 1986 dollars though).

They say "none (of the cars picked) have a higher ratio of great to drive/ terrible to own than the Montreal"; talk about speaking out their @ss...
Mark

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
"Alfa's SPICA Inizione fuel injection system was a nightmare in any car..." Glad I didn't read this article before having owned 2 Berlinas and now a 1750 Spider all with SPICA. SPEAKING OUT OF THEIR a$$ indeed

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good feedback! I agree that putting Montys in this exclusive crowd is cool...does show that the majority of "car people" do not really understand Alfas in general or Montreals in specific.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
SPICA Rules. I've owned many Alfas with this system, and never had any issues. It amazing one can BASH a car for something like that. These writers have no clue.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I was glad to see our cars on that list, but I agree, the writer had NO idea what he was talking about, relating to Montreals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts