Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody.

I am just wondering where should I put my hydraulic jack when I'm lifting up my GTV, and where should I put my jackstands?

Right now I'm jacking @ the jack points for the manual jack with the hydraulic one. They're all rusted and bent really bad already, I don't think I should do that anymore. :confused:

I remember seeing people jacking up cars on the A-arms and suspension joints, etc.

And after jacking up the car, I put the jackstand underneath the two H-shape frame. Is that correct? How about the rear? I want to jack up the car and change the fuel filter.

Thank you!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've been using the front cross memeber and the rear diff casing (careful of those webs) for 9 years with no damage. My only problem now is that with the car lowered and 195/50 15 tyres I have to lift the car a little to get the jack under the front....

Jacking points are a check on our annual MOT safety test so they should always be serviceable though I don't like to use them as a rule.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Jacking points!

You don't know how many people will try to convince you that any-ol-place is ok.....How many GTV doors have you seen that don't line up at the top? How many people break their door handles cuz they have to "really lift them" .

The factory jacking points are the correct place to lift the car if going after one wheel or tire. To lift the whole car use the front crossmember and the diff casting in the rear. If the car is low, then lift one wheel at the jacking point or run it up on boards first.

Remember these car are unibody...........no frame. good luck geneo

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Jacking points!

Thank you for all the response.
I think I better get rid of all the rust on my jacking points then.

Is it an expensive job to have a body shop to renew, re-weld, de-rust all the rust on the points and make it sound again?

Thank you. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts