Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did I do any damage to my GTV??

I've always jacked my GTV at those 4 points on the body side, but they're getting rusty. and one of them actually broke and made a big dent on the floorpan.

It's kind of scary to lift the car up on the differential case, will I break the case (made of aluminum??) Will it fall over to one side before I am able to put a stand on them? Where should I put the stand? On the trailing arms near the wheel??

Thank you very much!! ThX! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For jacking up the front - I gave up :( . Cannot reach the subframe or the plate under the spring at all. Can I jack it up at bottom of point 1 (under the bushing)?

or should I life the car up a little bit and put the jack under pt 2?

Should I put some piece of wood between the jack and the car?

:confused:

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Jacking up the back from the diff is OK but put some wood between the jack and the diff. I'd put the jackstands under the outer most available part of the axletubes, not the trailing arms.
For the front, driving the front tires onto a 2 x 4 or something should raise the front enough to be able to put the jack under the springpan.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Never USE the car's jacking points! The factory jack is the only thing to use there, as it fits into the post-holes...but even then, that was designed for emergency use only.

Papajam gave good advice. I always jack a 105 under the differential using a small piece of wood (2X4) between the cup of my jack and the differential housing. I then place the jackstands under the furthest outboard end of the axle-tube. The front is easiest to jack after driving up on ramps (easy to make and cheap to buy). When I jack the whole front, I place the jack under the main suspension frame crossmember, using the same block of wood under the jack. The jackstands should be placed either at the inboard end of the spring cups (if working on the suspension or brakes (make sure to leave some clearance for the suspension to droop), or I just leave the wheels on the ramps and don't jack the front at all.

As for damage...yes, you have caused some damage. It's tricky to fix because it coincides with a major rust prone point, but if the metal isn't rusty, then you can bang it back out carefully.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts