Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One part of my car that I've never been happy with is the jacking points.

They have been replaced in the past but are starting to suffer from rust once again. Does anyone have any recommendations about alternative arrangements? The problem as I see it is that it's difficult to ensure that the inside of an open ended box section doesn't collect dirt and then corrode.

I never use the jacking points anyway and I'm not a "keep it original" freak if there is a way to improve things. I'm guessing that the race guys must have done something different?

All suggestions gratefully received..........

·
Administrator
13,617 Posts
I never use the jacking points anyway and I'm not a "keep it original" freak if there is a way to improve things. I'm guessing that the race guys must have done something different?
Hmmm, if you don't use them at all may be you could remove them?

I think that keeping them clean would help them last. Usually when I wash my car (not my Alfa, yet) I hose under the wheel arches, etc. to help dislodge this sort of crap that gets stuck on little ledges ...

The other thing I would suggest is to ensure you have the splash guards installed under the front wheel arches as they do a big job of stopping sill rust .... as stupidly Alfa have designed a nice flat ledge of dirt to sit on!!! They might also stop dirt getting on the front jacking point.

Also could you modify the jacking points so it is not possible for dirt to get on top of it. Maybe seal the outside of them with some sort of goo ...

Pete

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
When jacking up my GTV I have to start by using the factory jack on one of the jacking points to lift her up a bit. I then use my floor jack on either the cross member underneath the engine or on the differential. I have a rubber attachment (as pictured) on the floorjack so no harm is done. $10 at Harbor Freight. I have also used this combination on the lower A arm (also pictured) since my oil pan's leaking and the cross member gets slick. Is it okay to jack under an A arm?

Two shops have lifted my GTV using rubber attachments at what looks like a frame. My master cylinder is bolted to one of them. I know of course that this is not a frame actually. But more like a structural part of the floor pan.

The tire shop lifted her at the front jack point and let the rear trailing arms rest on the back part of their lift. I was not happy about that one. Basically their lift was too long for the GTV's wheel base. Next time I went back, at my request, they used floor jacks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Kai, may you take some picture of jacking the rear end?
Thank you. I'm still very confused of where to jack up my car, both front and back.
Haven't worked on my car after the factory jacking point broke. (rust rust rust :()

Thank you.
All the pictures you have taken are so nice, what camera is that?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Here's a shot of a '74 GTV's rear differential. I use the rubber attachment on the floor jack.

Thanks for the photo compliment, but I have an outdated Konica digital camera. It takes pretty good outdoor pictures but the flash is inadequate for indoor shots. The darn thing only has a 2mb smart card. I'll buy a new one someday.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
:confused: You would think a car as maintenance intensive as an Alfa would have built in jacks!!

·
Administrator
13,617 Posts
But then what would you do when the built in jacks broke down :D

Alfa's need a lot of external help ... :p

Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts