Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 Montreal. 2019 Giulia ti Sport. 2019 Stelvio ti Lusso.
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to lift my Montreal off the ground for brake work. Where are good places to have the car rest on jack stands? I plan on having the car rest on the stands with the rear axle, but what about the front end? I see a structural steel box running under the car as far back as the transmission, but I'm afraid that it would be damaged by the stands. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
203 Posts

I like to use the outside factory front jacking points, I also use a hockey puck between the body and the lift or jack stand. This outside point is one of the most rigid location on the front of the body.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I like to use the outside factory front jacking points, I also use a hockey puck between the body and the lift or jack stand. This outside point is one of the most rigid location on the front of the body.
Thank you for the reply, but I plan to use that to jack the car up--where would I place the stands, since the jack and the stands can't occupy the same space?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Rather than raising the car via the jacking points, couldn't you simply put a length of 2x4 on top of your floor jack, position that under the crossmember behind the oil pan, and jack up the whole front of the car, rather than one side at a time? This technique works fine for a Giulia, and the construction of the Montreal seems to be similar.

Thoughts, anyone?

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
This method works fine and sometimes I use it but you have to locate the correct spot for the Jack and it may not be dead center:
Rather than raising the car via the jacking points, couldn't you simply put a length of 2x4 on top of your floor jack, position that under the crossmember behind the oil pan, and jack up the whole front of the car, rather than one side at a time?

I usually use the side jacking points, cushioned with rubber or wood, to lift the car and put jack stands at each side of cross member up front.

For the rear, I use a piece of wood 2"x6" on the Jack cradle, under the magnesium cooling fins for the differential; something I learned here. I put jack stands under the rear lift points with rubber (old exhaust hanger) cushions.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies, and ideas. You've given me food for thought. I think I'll try Ironblock method first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.