Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past with my Miata, I would Jack up the car one corner at a time and add Jack stands to work on steering/suspension components. I did this as I do not own a floor jack. Since the miatas jacking points are on the punch welds, I would place the Jack stands right next to the jacking point on the punch welds. I'm not sure if I can do the same with my 87 Spider. I only have the stock Jack in the trunk and a spare scissor Jack from a Miata that got totaled. Does anyone have detailed advice on how to get this bar on Jack s stands? Also, I bought the car without a spare. Will a Miata donut work at all?

·
Administrator
17,770 Posts
I put the floor jack's lifting pad under the Spider's jacking points. (make sure they are in good condition). If the scissor jack has a flat top surface you could put it under the jacking points.

Alternatively, jack under the crossmember (you'll need a low profile jack) or each spring pan up front and then under the rear differential. Place sturdy jack stands under the jacking points.

As for the Miata donut spare - if it fits the Alfa hub and the diameter is close to the Alfa tires I guess it would be OK as a temporary spare in an emergency. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put the floor jack's lifting pad under the Spider's jacking points. (make sure they are in good condition). If the scissor jack has a flat top surface you could put it under the jacking points.

Alternatively, jack under the crossmember (you'll need a low profile jack) or each spring pan up front and then under the rear differential. Place sturdy jack stands under the jacking points.

As for the Miata donut spare - if it fits the Alfa hub and the diameter is close to the Alfa tires I guess it would be OK as a temporary spare in an emergency. Let us know what you find out.
I don't have a floor jack as stated in the original. I'm trying to figure out how to lift it and where to put the Jack stands assuming I have to use the jacking points to lift it.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You didn't tell us much about your interest or ability to do the "down and dirty"
things on that 33 years old Alfa. You seem healthy and young enough to survive the demise of the Miata. (You kept the spare wheel, did you also keep the steering wheel?) Having a bend steering wheel hanging on the wall of your shop is a great conversation starter.

One of the first things to learn now that you own your first of many (If I might speculate) Alfa is nobody buys just one. I good set of tools including a floor jack is, if not required, is at least a really good idea. Harbor Freight, which here to fore will be known as "HF", has a pretty good Aluminum one for not much money. I'm on my second one and they last about 8-9 years. About $9 a year, not too bad.

The list of new toys to buy goes on and on.

BTW: You will get a lot more help here if you post a lot of pictures. Don't be afraid to talk about "screw ups" (I hope that phrase gets through the system, hopefully the censors are not looking) we all do them.

There is a great story about a guy misunderstanding the meaning of the phrase, "screw up", but sadly I'm not allowed to tell it here..;)

Welcome to the Alfa Asylum

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't tell us much about your interest or ability to do the "down and dirty"
things on that 33 years old Alfa. You seem healthy and young enough to survive the demise of the Miata. (You kept the spare wheel, did you also keep the steering wheel?) Having a bend steering wheel hanging on the wall of your shop is a great conversation starter.

One of the first things to learn now that you own your first of many (If I might speculate) Alfa is nobody buys just one. I good set of tools including a floor jack is, if not required, is at least a really good idea. Harbor Freight, which here to fore will be known as "HF", has a pretty good Aluminum one for not much money. I'm on my second one and they last about 8-9 years. About $9 a year, not too bad.

The list of new toys to buy goes on and on.

BTW: You will get a lot more help here if you post a lot of pictures. Don't be afraid to talk about "screw ups" (I hope that phrase gets through the system, hopefully the censors are not looking) we all do them.

There is a great story about a guy misunderstanding the meaning of the phrase, "screw up", but sadly I'm not allowed to tell it here..;)

Welcome to the Alfa Asylum
Most of my mechanical experience has been working on my '72 Chevy Blazer, 92 Mazda Eunos (totaled in t-bone), 92 Mazda Miata (so

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most of my mechanical experience has been working on my '72 Chevy Blazer, 92 eunos, 92 Miata, and 2002 Miata. I've done pretty major work on all of my cars. I hate paying someone to do work I can do myself. I was also thinking I should just stick it up and buy a floor jack. I will pay photos at some point. Right now my treat exhaust is held up by a tow strap. That will be dealt with along with the tie rods. I will probably put up some pictures at that point. Thanks for the welcome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts