Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting my system all buttoned down, I hooked up the vacuum to see what's what. It wouldn't hold, so I start checking o-rings and fittings.

It turns out I cross-threaded the low side port on the compressor.

I had to get a new hose made so the charge port was accessible (the lower mounting angle, with the distributor and exhaust manifold make the original setup impossible). The angle wasn't perfectly aligned and I managed to thread it down about halfway before getting jammed. I thought it was seated.

I'm going to pull the compressor (yay!) and see if I can maybe repair the threads, being the material is quite soft. Since the seal comes from the o-ring then I don't think it'll matter if it's slightly off, a long as it provides the pressure. Right? I was able to fix some threads with a fine file and a Dremel wire wheel on a poorly cast port on my new condenser, and it's doing alright.

The I plan to attach that new hose on the bench and install it as a unit.

Fingers crossed, but any advice from the pros?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
It's probably not fatal. Your repair approach sounds OK. Worse come to worse you've always got JB Weld!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Should be fine. At worst, you can just replace the compressor head with a salvage part on the cheap. Someone on the BB I'm sure probably has a junk compressor sitting around.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AC work is the pits, by the way. If I'd believed everyone when they said it was more of a headache than you'd ever expect, I'd have just opted to remain hot!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I dunno. I don't think A/C work is that bad. Any connection can be cross-threaded and buggered. There's enough good info on the BB here to make even an in-depth system repair a lot easier. The key is to go slow, know what you're doing and why, and don't put questionable parts back into the system.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since I'm retrofitting mine with no-standard parts, it's been a lot of guesswork regarding hose length and fitting angles, coercing the condenser to fit, etc. And it seems no one does this retro for the GTV6 the same way, being that parts availability is so off the wall. It's not been the hardest job I've done, but it's been frustrating, and my hands are beat to a pulp from working in highly confined spaces.

*whine*

Mostly it's just frustrating that I only get a couple of hours a week, and none of it consistent, before I'm getting yelled at. Honestly, I don't know if I can realistically keep up with this car now that I have kids. If something major happened, I'd just be up a creek.

*grumble moan*

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
sory to learn of this, chair. mangles/cross threaded- wow- gotta be careful in future, right? Good luck man. Ac work can be a pain IF youre talking about removing evap, otjherwise, it is really cool stuff!! I like chemicals!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts