Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, a little mood music:

Yes, it's a basket case, and I probably am too for buying it but what the heck. I picked up Bill's "'67 Super Roller" project posted on the BB, and will be dragging it home in the next couple of weeks. This is my first tin top Alfa after 3 Spiders, and I hope (eventually) to do the same kind of refreshing I did to my '74 Spider - ie, get it to nice driver status, not turn it into a concours trailer queen. It will stay Verde Muschio, with the dark tan interior. By the time I'm done horse trading with Bill I'm thinking I'll have enough stuff to install my good spare 2L with Euro cams in it while keeping it more or less original looking under the hood.

A couple of questions before I dive in:

1. What's the best source for some of the bespoke Super stuff like upholstery? I assume Re-originals can get some of it, but are there any good Euro sources?

2. I really want to do a nice aggressive street / occasional track suspension setup, with a decent but not crazy drop. I LOVE the look of a lowered Super. Any suggested wheel / tire / spring / shock / brake recipes? I've got a good spare 4.56 LSD that I plan on putting in.

Thanks, and I'm sure I'll be spending plenty of time in here with y'all 4-door Alfa nuts.

-Jason

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
yippee!

Welcome aboard.

I have been happy sending my upholstery to the nearby shops. My guy always finds vynil that matches (or is really close) and does new foam/springs too. The price isn't usually too bad. Quite reasonable when you consider the cost of time to fit a pre -sewn kit and the quality can't be beat.

I'd suggest you look at the nearby shops.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Hey Jason,

Nice car! Oh, I would say that since I sold it to you.:p Having seen and experienced your excellent Spider first hand I know that the Super is in good hands. Plus I'm close enough for you to bug me if any parts turn up missing. I kind of like the fact that I can still observe the car's restoration on someone else's time clock. Hope you don't mind if I post a "before" picture here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,374 Posts
I think RO is the only game in town for true OEM vinyl, carpets, etc., but you can get pretty close subs by finding a good upholstery place and going through their sample books with them. World Upholstery has Alfa kits, but they're not OEM exactly.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll ping a few upholstery shops and see what I can find. The seats are more or less intact, so it shouldn't be too bad for a decent upholstery guy to replace them.

Anyone care to comment on the suspension?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Premium Member
21,374 Posts
I'm not one for modified suspension on street cars.

However, Tom Sahines had a good general description of moderate street 105/115 setup in the ARA cams some years ago. Anyone have it handy? Somewhat lower, stiffer springs (Dave Rugh springs are good; I don't think you want to go lower than having the lower A arms parallel to the ground), adjustable front A-arms with mild negative camber, big front sway bar and no rear, or stock front and stock rear bars (you'd have to add rear on Super), and shocks set about half firm in front and full soft in back. I think he liked Konis. I can dig it up if no one else has it handy.

Big rear bar makes the car tail-happy, which I found out to my detriment with this setup at Buttonwillow on my GTV. Of course, if you want to drift the car, the bigger rear bar the better.

Once you get into non-stock settings, it's your own world of development, with each person and each car wanting/producing slightly different things. So be prepared for some time with the car up in the air, changing springs, etc., if you venture into this area.

Andrew

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hi Jason, give me a PM if you would like to see my Super. I am down the road from you close to Philomont,VA.
All the best
Rob
Nice car BTW

I'll ping a few upholstery shops and see what I can find. The seats are more or less intact, so it shouldn't be too bad for a decent upholstery guy to replace them.

Anyone care to comment on the suspension?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll definitely be bothering some of the local Super owners as I start putting things back together. That's a ways off, yet. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts