Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The S4 went to an electric cooling fan. Has anyone done this on an S3. If so what do you think. Any advantages. Disadvantages? Herb

·
Registered
158 Posts
While there is some power gain with the engine not having to run a fan (Pat Braden says about 7 bhp as I recall in his book on the ALFA twin-cam), I am sure it wouldn't be very noticeable in practice though. The main advantage of electric engine fans is more room at the front of the engine and better cooling at idle.

On my s4 with 2 electric fans, I had the wire come loose on one of them and rub completely through on the a/c pulley. It was hard to spot and I kept blowing 30amp engine fan fuses until I found the trouble. Rewired the fan and routed it out of the way and haven't had any further trouble.

The only other downside to an electric fan in an Alfa that I can think of is that the charging capacity of the alternator in these cars is marginal. With both engine fans running, and the a/c compressor engaged and fan on high (and maybe a few other electrics running), I notice it barely stays above 12 volts even at higher RPMs (at least by the Alfa in-dash volt gauge in my s4). I've gotten into the habit of turning the a/c fan down a notch on 100º days. It may have done a little better when new when the wiring was all fresh, but I don't know for sure.

–An aside on Braden's book on the twin-cam, I noticed he stated in it that Spiders didn't have Motronic injection until the few 1994 Commemorative edition cars that were built. Seems an odd error for such a knowledgeable ALFA guy.–

·
Registered
359 Posts
Converted to an electric fan on my S2 - it rarely comes on apart from in traffic in summer.
Advantages -
Potential power increase although I cant say I noticed it
A lot quieter
Less strain on water pump bearings and fan belt
Remove potential fan failure and damage
Tidies up engine bay
Quicker warm up esp in winter
and so on as all the other threads have said
Its a bit of a no brainer really - if your worried about it you can always carry the old mech fan in the boot

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
That Plastic Piece of CRAP is gone! Every car that had it I took it off.
A torpedo ready to put a hole in the radiator or dent the hood. It's happened in my 30+ years too many times. I put a front radiator blower in my 82, the heat sensor is plugged in your present radiator, be careful removing this, lower radiator drivers side! use any thermal sensor Milano, GTV_6, or later Spider. Never had a heat issue for many years using this method. Tons of room as well to work on the motor with all that plastic junk out of the way.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,528 Posts
The only real disadvantages are the increased electrical draw and more potential failure points (wiring, switch, relay, motor).

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
I put a 60 amp alternator for a 94 spider on my GTV and it handles the ac load no sweat, internal voltage regulator too. A no brainer!

·
Registered
372 Posts
The S4 went to an electric cooling fan. Has anyone done this on an S3. If so what do you think. Any advantages. Disadvantages? Herb
Here's what I did:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/205118-replacement-electric-fan-help.html

Briefly, I removed the mechanical and the Aux fan in front of the AC condenser, then installed one higher CFM "pusher" fan in its place. I've had no trouble with it keeping temp here in Florida.

The fan I bought was very inexpensive, and is fairly loud (air raid siren-ish). I also upgraded the alternator to a higher amp model some year's later to deal with the faint glow of the idiot light under high demand.

Looks much cleaner, works well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts