Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new to me 86' Quad running, it was sitting for 2 years and needed quite a bit of love. Vacuum hoses, fuel filter, plugs, flywheel sensor, drive relay and fresh gas.
That's the good news.
The bad news is the clutch seems like it may be on it's last legs, take up very near the floor and crunching while shifting into reverse.
The transmission mounts are also shot, the bottom bracket is only attached on one side.

Now on to the fun stuff, the interior is toast, and the floor pans have seen better days.

This is a terrific forum, I could not imagine plunging ahead with a project like this without you guys.

Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Those are the exhaust bracket mounts- and it looks like they are goop for sure. Trans. mount is at the tail of the transmission, in a cast 'eyelet'. All those bushings need to be redone for sure.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Alfa clutches are quick to engage from the fully depressed position (on the floor). If you think it isn't disengaging completely leading to gear clash, you may want to take a look at the clutch hydraulic system. Have you bled it?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Congratulations on getting your engine to start. I am about a week or so away from you with my recently acquired 84 Veloce Spider. Just waiting to put fuel tank back into the car. Still have a long checklist of parts waiting to be replaced, probably like you. All filters, fluids, plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, etc. My car has been sitting garaged the past two years. Fuel tank has been restored and resealed, so will be starting with a fresh, clean tank.

Good luck on your restoration project. Nice looking car.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Good luck on your restoration project. Nice looking car.
Indeed, a very nice looking car.

Just to add a bit regarding potential clutch issues. If you are not losing fluid from the reservoir and the bellows on the slave cylinder is not full of fluid, then a bleed may be all that is required. You may be aware that you need to have the bleed nipple on the slave straight up during the bleeding process. The actuating rod on the slave should move the pivot fork 11 to 12mm when the hydraulics are working right.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Good, another local classic Alfa owner

Indeed, a very nice looking car.

Just to add a bit regarding potential clutch issues. If you are not losing fluid from the reservoir and the bellows on the slave cylinder is not full of fluid, then a bleed may be all that is required. You may be aware that you need to have the bleed nipple on the slave straight up during the bleeding process. The actuating rod on the slave should move the pivot fork 11 to 12mm when the hydraulics are working right.
Glad to see you are in the SC Update as myself. Nice to know of at least another classic Alfa fan/owner in my area.

If there are others, please let me know, or if you guys ever meet up or want to meet up. I could use the education and some Alfa bonding.

David

·
Administrator
18,237 Posts
Glad to see you are in the SC Update as myself. Nice to know of at least another classic Alfa fan/owner in my area.

If there are others, please let me know, or if you guys ever meet up or want to meet up. I could use the education and some Alfa bonding.
Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the kind words and advise. I started to bleed the clutch with my Motive Power bleeder. It did not go well, as I foolishly neglected to test pressurize to the full 15lbs. It was going great for a while, getting the old nasty stuff out, when I heard the sound that we all dread, especially while immobile under a very greasy old sports car. A certain splashing sound, cascading down past the motor mount, narrowly missing my noggin. The seal around the universal adapter had failed, and brake fluid was everywhere. The good news is that the clutch is much improved, and that side of the engine compartment got a good cleaning.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
...when I heard the sound that we all dread, especially while immobile under a very greasy old sports car. A certain splashing sound, cascading down past the motor mount, narrowly missing my noggin. The seal around the universal adapter had failed, and brake fluid was everywhere. The good news is that the clutch is much improved, and that side of the engine compartment got a good cleaning.
Some days its tough to make a nickel. Glad you got it bled and the clutch is working better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Alfar7, yes, indeed. Have a Comet class built in Skaneateles, NY in the '50s and an '86 Menger catboat. I sail the Comet on Cazenovia Lake and the Menger on Oneida Lake. I love sailing and sports cars in equal measure.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good luck, same story here with getting my 84 spider up and running, but well worth the challenges. I had to replace the clutch slave cylinder as it was leaking too bad. I'd recommend replacing the oil in the transmission as well. There's plenty of posts as to use and not use. I went Redline 75w90NS and my transmission went from stirring a bowl of soup to smooth crisp shift and almost no synchros crunch.
LB

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LBinNM, this car was an impulse purchase, bought locally at a low price. I will be changing all fluids soon and will look into Redline. I had only driven one Spider previously, and did not know much about them before coming here to this board. I have owned a number of other nice cars (currently have an '01 Miata in pristine condition sleeping for the winter), but this little Alfa is really growing on me. Really like the styling, and am looking forward to the challange of restoring the interior and top to the shape the car deserves.
Good luck with your project,.

·
Registered
184 Posts
if clutch pedal is not equal level with the brake pedal also check the infamous clutch pivot weld failure if it has not happened yet ... it will ... new beefed up ones are available from
the usual suspects
If broken it will cause every issue you have
also a failed rear transmission busing will cause issues going into and staying in reverse . Good Luck !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts