Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Push hard and live
10,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tend to follow Groucho's advice regarding clubs, which means I don't venture out often for car shows and car-type meetings. However, with the 102 running, and in gradually refined tune, I'm considering a couple of events this year.

There is a Sierra Sports Car Club show in Nevada City, CA in June that seems like a good test run, assuming the carbs come good and the steering box leak can be fixed.

Then there is the Concorso thing in August. I accidentally flew into Carmel in 09, and while sitting in the taxi found myself at a 4-way stop with a Ferrari, Lambo, and Maser at the other 3 corners. Clearly something was up, and as I both clueless and disinterested in the whole Monterrey thing, it caught me by surprise.

Is the Concorso a fun event for mere mortals, or more of a gathering for self-appointed gods wearing gold chains and heavy egos? I wouldn't mind a drive that long if the former, but the latter would have my skin crawling in minutes.

Any other 102 types likely to be there?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Don:

I have heard from several folks (Fiat and Lancia owners, not Alfa) that the judging at CI can be ambiguous and frought with mystery. I guess it depends on if you are serious about having the car judged or not. Note that AROC-USA has nothing to do with the judging at CI, so I may be completely off base here, so apologies in advance if I am not correctly informed.

We have a couple of nice Italian car events here in Phoenix in the fall and spring if you want to make a longer drive. Palm Springs and SoCal have a number of nice events throughout the year, and AROC SoCal has an organized concours program.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Concorso

Concorso is not a judged event. It is a fabulous gathering for people who love cars. Specifically Italian, but they have a corral for non-Italian cars as well.

Bring your Italian car and leave with a whole new group of friends.

There will only be a few 102's, but all of the Alfisti will want to see your car. You're even likely to meet real Ferrari owners who will love your car. I doubt you will find any of the Gold Chain wearing types that you refer to.

The first time I went, I spent the day looking at the cars and loving every minute of the day. Now, I spend the whole day chatting up new and old acquaintances, to the point that I almost don't have enough time to see all of the cars.

And that's just Friday. You have to spend Saturday at Laguna Seca in the pits. So many beautiful historic race cars and their owners ready to share their stories.

On Sunday you should go to Pebble Beach. Not every year, but at least once.

And of course, you must take in an auction. I reccomend the RM auction, centrally located in down town Monterey.

The best car guy gathering outside of Goodwood!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts