Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I also have a set from them and they look great !

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have purchased from them as well. Got a customized MODENA plate for a Maserati. Very nice. Thinking about getting a Milano one for the 164L

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
Hey, great tip here. Thanks! I got a set of vintage plates for the old 65 with the same number as it had when it resided in Italy for its first 40-odd years.

Now for part 2, where does one get the vintage plate-sized frames in chrome or stainless?? I found a spot that sells current-sized plate frames but not vintage.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
Dunno, maybe. No dimensions given. If it is for modern plates it will be too large. New Euro license plates are generally bigger than vintage ones. And it seems to vary between countries: Germany has a very large long front plate and Spain has a very large rear rectangular plate.

And the vintage Italian front plate is wayyy tiny compared to all modern plates.

Reactions: lm2504me

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
Ok, the rear plate is 8"h x 11"w, the same as my current Dutch vintage and the German modern rear plates (but different form the rear Spanish plate, no longer with me). So I could fit the new vintage repro Italian plate in the existing SS frame. Looks great!

The front is 2 1/2"h x 10 5/8"w and has no raised surround. I had a small front frame bracket that fits the vintage front plate that is meant to mount proud to the front bumper but I've seen most older fronts mount flat on the bumper. So, thinking about what to do and seeking advise on what is correct for a 65.

Thanks for this tip Mark! Bruce

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
Just for reference, here is a front and rear Dutch vintage plate, both framed. There is also a black plastic "carrier" mounted under the plate/frame. I see something like that on the Alfaholics link you sent. Thanks Mark. Hope your fettling is going well!!

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
Supposedly to be vintage correct, the white car now needs the oval "I" decal so it could travel throughout Europe and identify it as an Italian plate/car. The newer plates have a country designator included.

The simple black plate does work better than the modern plate with all the added spunk.

·
Premium Member
13,713 Posts
Ok, the rear plate is 8"h x 11"w, the same as my current Dutch vintage and the German modern rear plates (but different form the rear Spanish plate, no longer with me). So I could fit the new vintage repro Italian plate in the existing SS frame. Looks great!

The front is 2 1/2"h x 10 5/8"w and has no raised surround. I had a small front frame bracket that fits the vintage front plate that is meant to mount proud to the front bumper but I've seen most older fronts mount flat on the bumper. So, thinking about what to do and seeking advise on what is correct for a 65.

Thanks for this tip Mark! Bruce
Are those Vincenza plates some of the reproduction license plates? If so, the VI should be on the right on that front plate.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
:( Shucks . . .

Yes it's from Mark's site . . . But . . . Actually the example at the site appeared that way but I tried to use MY logic as to how it should look! Who's the turkey today . . .

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
can you use these in the states?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I run the California plates over these and remove them if I'm at a show.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
Ditto what Randy said. I learned the looped strap hanger trick from him. I use it for "show" but sometimes forget to replace it. I usually run no front TX plates in front but have the Euro plates there. Antique reg using YOM plates only requires one plate here, rear. That confused one smokey recently who wanted to "take a closer look at the car". ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking for a set of Italian plates for a 1972 car I am inporting this month from Italy. The car is from Salerno, tag # SA664800. Would like front and rear plates (white on black). Possible?

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
Hi, Welcome. Yes. Did you read this thread? Several places listed here with links make good looking repro Italian plates. As well as for other countries and states.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts