Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alfisti! Alfisti! Alfisti!

Marque your calendars! 24-25 July 2010!

In 2010, to celebrate Alfa Romeo's 100th Anniversary, Alfa Romeo will be the Proiettore Macchina!

What is the Cortile?
The Cortile is the Italian Car Show, at The Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix held July 24-25, 2010. In Italian "Cortile" translates into courtyard which is an appropriate name for our display of fine Italian machina on the 18th fairway of the Bob O'Connor Golf Course at Schenley Park. As you may know, The Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix is the only Vintage Race held on city streets in North America and includes some white knuckle off-camber turns brushing stone walls in s-bends downhill (if you think that's a mouthful to read you should see it in person) and surrounded by over 2000 fine automobiles on display.

How did the Cortile start?
In 2008 at the 26th running of The Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix "All Italian Cars" were featured as the "Marque of the Year" We had an overwhelming response!

As a direct result, in 2009 the PVGP introduced "The Cortile" a very unique, opulent area befitting the gorgeous Italian gems that participate.

What's happening in 2010?
In 2010 Jim Shaw, one of our Alfa owners and a professional chef, will prepare a wonderful lunch while we are serenaded by opera tenor John Walter. Local artist Johno Prascak will create a very special piece of artwork especially for Alfa Romeo, our Proiettore Macchina for 2010

In 2010 is a two day car show of All Italian cars that will spotlight Alfa Romeo, all makes and ages are welcome. Be sure to Marque your 2010 calendar and come and enjoy the weekend at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix overlooking the combined car show on the Schenley Park Golf Course. It should be a spectacular weekend.

We're still in the planning phases but here is the rough outline of the weekend events
Saturday: Car Show, Lunch, Art Shows, Opera Singers, LeMans start of italian drivers after lunch!

Sunday: Car Show, Racing and Wine and Cheese @ Turn 9 in our Private Viewing area at the Historic Westinghouse Fountain

Where is The Cortile?
The Cortile area not only has it's own private entrance, @ Gate G, so you can bypass all of the inbound traffic, but is also the only car show that boasts the glorious setting of our host The Pittsburgh Golf Club, which offers a cash bar.

The entrance to the Cortile is on Northumberland Street, just below the Schenley Park Golf Course clubhouse at the corner of Forbes Avenue and Schenley Drive. The 2010 Show opens on Saturday and Sunday at 9:30 AM and cars are displayed until 5:00 PM. Cortile and Grand Prix are held rain or shine.

View The Cortile Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix Map

What does it cost for me to participate?
Cost for 2010 $100 per car and includes lunch for two. Additional lunches can be purchases. A cash br will also be available. Your entry fee benefits the Autism Society of Pittsburgh and Allegheny Valley School. There is no formal judging in car show. Visit Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix Association | Italian Cortile Car Show for more details and online payment option which will be going live very soon.

What is the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix?
The Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix Association is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization with a mission to hold a world-class vintage automotive event for charity. It is the region's premier summer event for hundreds of thousands of automotive enthusiasts in that it combines charitable fundraising with car shows and vintage sports car racing on city streets. The 2010 Race Week runs from July 16th through the 25th culminating with our 28th annual vintage races and car shows at Schenley Park on the weekend of July 24/25. Since 1983 this volunteer-driven event has raised over $2.5 million for the Autism Society of Pittsburgh & Allegheny Valley School.

I could load a ton more photo's but it would just take up a lot of real estate here. If you want to see the photo's from last year's event just take a look at the Cortile Photo's page.

and to see over 9 minutes ofsome great racing footage from a '58 Alfa Spider Veloce racing at The Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix be sure and click on this link to our SpeedTV PVPG Group page.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We've been receiving some inquiries about hotels and trailering in cars for next year: Specifically some questions about which motels are 'trailer friendly'

You can check out the PVGP website for our Hotel Partners

And some more pics from 2009:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Maps

I've already posted some other information on some of the club forums here. I thought you might want to check them out.

Track Maps
The Track Map is a bit bigger than I would prefer but I can't seem to resize it but you can click through to the link to see it and get a good idea of what goes on where. We'll be doing the private Wine & Cheese at Turn 9 which is at the historic Westinghouse Fountain.

Google Map
If you would like to get an idea of the actual location of the Cortile and overlay that in comparison the to Track map above you can click on this LINK to Google.

And without further adieu some more pictures:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The following list of macchina is my wish list of cars that I would LOVE to see at the celebration of Alfa's Century at the Cortile's Proiettore Macchina in 2010.

This is by no means a complete list....:)
1929 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Super Sport S.A.
1930 Alfa Romeo 1750
1939 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500S
1942 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500
1947 ALFA ROMEO 6C2500 SS
1947 Alfa Romeo 2500 S 6C
1949 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500SS SWB 2 Seat Pininfarina Cabriolet
1953 Alfa Romeo 1900 Barchetta
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Zagato
1962 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Zagato II "Coda Tronca"
1968 Alfa Romeo Barchetta
1974 Alfa Romeo Montreal
2008 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione Coupe

I'm really looking for the Barchetta's!!

If anyone is going to Alex's Alpha Century and wants to bring the transporter up to Pittsburgh to carry on the fun.... We'd love it!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Buon Natale!

You can now stay in touch with all of the latest updates on all of the PVGP event and goings on at Twitter and Facebook

Lots of new pictures of what you can walk around and see and then return to the lush, air conditioned confines of the Cortile as your base of operations on Saturday.... and you can check it out again on Sunday before joining us in a Special area at Turn 9, the Westinghouse Fountain. Bring your picnic basket of wine and cheese!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent!!! Happy HanukaChristmasKwanzaa everyone!
In 6 months We RACE!!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey everyone. I just got word that the Cortile has been invited to display some cars at the Pittsburgh Auto Show

I'm looking for a "special" Alfa Romeo to display in the show. The cars for the Cortile WILL be roped off and there will be no public access to touch the cars on display... Think of it more like a museum display.

We're looking for an Alfa to display for the 5 days of the show inside the Pittsburgh Convention Center overlooking the river.... we're in the top floor lobby with all glass behind us so there's an opportunity for some great photos if you want to take some. There's a pretty good picture on the PVGP facebook page in the link above to see where the location is at in the convention center.

If anyone is interested please contact me. I realize this is not the best time of year to try to move a car about but I also thought I would be remiss if I didn't let everyone know

Start Time: Thursday, February 11, 2010 at 10:00am
End Time: Monday, February 15, 2010 at 10:00pm
Street: 1000 Fort Duquesne Boulevard
City/Town: Pittsburgh, PA

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Cortile @ the Pittsburgh Auto Show

Just wanted to mention again that the Cortile will have a booth at the Pittsburgh Auto Show.

Start Time: Thursday, February 11, 2010 at 10:00am
End Time: Monday, February 15, 2010 at 10:00pm
Street: 1000 Fort Duquesne Boulevard
City/Town: Pittsburgh, PA

it also looks like we have some very nice folks volunteering to help us out at the booth:
"i asked about the auto show needing any beauty queens to stand by the cars and you told me to come contact you here on this site, so thats what i am doing. if you need more girls than just me i know some other PA title jolders that would love to do it as well !!!! i am free and at your disposal to use at the auto show or if you have another event that you would like me to attend please let me know i look forward to hearing from you soon. thanks
International tourism mrs Pennsylvaian 2009-2010
Lori eisenman"

Please stop by and pay us a visit if you're in the area!
:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1938 Alfa Monza Volpi Monoposto

Nice close up of David George's 1938 Alfa Monza Volpi Monoposto in your original post!

Cheers!
That photo was taken by Matt Little. You can see more of his great photo's at his website Studio721 and on the Cortile site (which has some great video's of Fangio I might add)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
PVGP Cortile registration is LIVE!

Happy Spring! Registration is OPEN

It's only 104 more days until The Cortile! Spring is here and we're starting to think about the details. We wanted to let everyone know that you can Register OnLine at THIS LINK.

Once again, ON LINE REGISTRATION IS LIVE.

• On Line registrations WILL receive an electronic confirmation
  • Mail in registration WILL NOT receive a confirmation.
Please be aware that the online registration is preferred. The data from mail in must be hand entered which leaves some opportunity for error in spelling an details.

To those that got my message yesterday from the Cortile Site thanks very much for jumping in and registering folks!

We're really looking forward to seeing everyone!!!

Did you know about the art show?
Inside the Cortile we're lining up a terrific set of artists to display some fantastic automotive art. One of the artists we are hosting is Greg Davis.

Please check out some of Greg's work at his WEBSITE

According to Greg:
"I just want to use this opportunity to introduce myself to The Cortile community. I am a motorsports artist that the Cortile organization has invited to exhibit at this years event. I work mainly in watercolor and a pen and ink wash and my subject matter is pretty much exclusively racing oriented. I have posted some of my work here and hope those of you perusing my page enjoy what I've displayed. Some of these images are also available as Giclee' prints on my web site- (vintagesportautoart.com) if you would like to acquire one for your collection..
As a brief biography, I worked on a few racing teams in the 70's (Bob McQueen, D Prod. Nat. Champ '71, Wilber Pickett Alfa-Romeo Trans-Am) and currently race a Lazer Formula Vee I also operate a restoration shop for vintage cars.
I am really looking forward to exhibiting at the Cortile - the combination of fine Italian cars and vintage racing promises to be a spectacular experience. Hope to see you there!"

You can check out some of Greg's other work HERE

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
We're very very proud to be a featured in the Alfa Century Program. Be sure to look for our ad in the program and we encourage anyone who wants to continue the celebration after Alfa Century to join us at the Cortile!

Just wanted to drop a quick note to folks with some updates:

Wayne Long, at MidAtlantic Sports Cars is bringing some great memoribelia from his private collection. Mille Miglia and Targa Florio collections will be on display inside the Cortile. MidAtlantic Sports Cars is an official sponsor so you'll want to be sure and visit their tent at the Cortile!

ON-LINE registration is open! Be sure and register before July 5 to insure to take advantage of the pre-registration benefit. Click HERE to pre-register

If you are attending be sure and sign up as a member at the Cortile website. Becoming a member is NOT the same a registration for the show. However, if you are planning on attending, it's a great way to get an advance look at some of the macchina that re attending and meet the other folks in advance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everyone at the PVGP and the Cortile is excited to see the pictures from the Alfa Century Celebration. We hope everyone has a fantastic time!

Remember, you're all more than welcome to continue the fun on July 24-25.

Registration is OPEN! Just click THIS LINK

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
We're getting down to the wire! It looks like we're going to have a great turnout! Many Alfa's are already registered!

Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit Johno Prascak, a local Pittsburgh Artist who has done portraits for several Presidents, and various special event paintings... Johno even has a painting in the Private offices of the Steelers that they commissioned him to do.

Johno create a wonderful painting last year for the Cortile and this year he has done an absolutely amazing job. It's a 1938 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900 depicted outside of the Pittsburgh Golf Club, where we hold the Cortile.

The painting is for sale for $10,000 and 10% of the proceeds will go to charity!

We'd love to see more Alfa's! We're looking to share some of the wonderful “Cent’ Anni” Birthday cake.... which, from the sounds of it will be consumable art. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
My wife and I hope to visit the Cortile sometime on Saturday - probably in the a.m. I am coming from Memphis, TN via Brookville, PA. I'm not familiar with the area and am wondering where we should park and how much admission to the event will cost.

Any information regarding these matters is appreciated.

Scott Walkup
Memphis, TN

1 - 20 of 24 Posts