Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having acquired a good sized, dry garage, and health issues abated I am plunging in with my restoration project at last! 2600 Sprint of '63 origin and absolutely solid.

I am sure I will have many questions in the future but my first is about the original clutch material - does it contain asbestos?

Also, and I know this will create discussion, original colour graphite grey or add a touch of metallic? Burgundy interior.

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Congratulations Ken, May the force be with you!

I suspect that the original heat shields, clutch and brake linings all may have contained asbestos but I have no proof -yet I am weary of the white fibrous material on the heat shield just removed from the Duetto and placed in a large plastic bag...

It is a personal decision regarding paint and color but I do like a nice metallic. To do it right the car probably should be stripped 100%. At a minimum the door jambs and doors need to be painted to match. The trunk and engine compartment were usually black, I believe. If it were a rare 250 California Spider, I would encourage you to keep the original color combination. Follow your heart on this one.

Mark

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks Mark.

Yes the colour question is very open to debate and I'm still considering all options.... even a change.

I have a spare friction plate and may be able to get that analysed or if not then Ferodo is fairly near me so I could pop over with one and ask their experts.

It's going to be a winter haul - aiming for a spring drive - but should be on target.
I have a collection of NOS that will come in handy too.
I am taking the engine apart as a precaution but it looks spot-on so far.

The real fun will be the Solexes I hear...

·
Push hard and live
8,909 Posts
All of the clutches, brake shoes and pads, and heat shields of this era contained asbestos. While we should all be alert for dangerous stuff, I’m of the opinion that if you don’t grind up a bunch of this stuff, and stick your head into the still dusty bag, you’ve got no worries. The issue with asbestos, just like silicosis, is long term breathing of the airborne dust after it has been mined, or large masses destroyed in a demolition project.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice Don. My father was a miner so I am well aware of such issues.
I am across the pond in what used to be the "United Kingdom" ... sadly things are being railroaded by self serving politicians now.

Sheffield is the city and we've had some great owners club events recently - Beaulieu and Bicester Heritage for the main AROC outings.

·
Push hard and live
8,909 Posts
Oh, now that I’ve taken a closer look, I see it’s RHD.

“Self serving politicians”. I’d call that a universal oxymoron. Or, in our case, just a moron.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hello Ken
Didn't know you had some health issues, glad your back. I believe it was you (pretty sure) that was gracious enough to sell me the radio delete piece for my 822269 sprint in Graphite Grey a few years back. Mine is Burgundy leather, in fact mine is original. Best of luck getting acquainted again with your car. BTW what is the serial#
Ciao
RML

Attachments

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Well done Ken - keep everything original this will allow you to get maximum price for the car if you decide to sell. This is the under bonnet on a 2600 spider currently ons sale for around £150,000. And yes I know the rocker cover should be clean aluminium or maybe light green but the rest is very crisp and a good reference

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gorgeous!
I would need to start a fund raiser to get to that condition I reckon ;-)

Lots of work to do first.

Thanks Chuck

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
HI Mark , I was in the same boat a couple of years ago with my Giulia Sprint GT ,I found that the original colour was graphite grey, (sounds much better in Italian) , but after we painted it I was over the moon with it ,if done properly it will look great, but please ,please DONT paint it red! Good luck hope it all goes well. Chris

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Hi Mark, I do have a 2600 spider as well ,and have a few parts that may cross over , also think I have somewhere a window winder mechanism, that came from a sprint , Ian is the man in the UK ,he is having some wheels and seat parts from me, Cheers again Chris .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello Ken
Didn't know you had some health issues, glad your back. I believe it was you (pretty sure) that was gracious enough to sell me the radio delete piece for my 822269 sprint in Graphite Grey a few years back. Mine is Burgundy leather, in fact mine is original. Best of luck getting acquainted again with your car. BTW what is the serial#
Ciao
RML
Yep it's me! Your work is an inspiration and so it will be back to stock colour.
Mine is number AR822218 from the log book, Engine is AR00604*03296 but that doesn't appear to be original according to the documentation which has 00601.03196.... Hmmm...

Where is the chassis number stamped please?
The engine bay has been painted with black underseal which will have to come off I reckon.:frown2:

Ken

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
Mine is number AR822218 from the log book, Engine is AR00604*03296 but that doesn't appear to be original according to the documentation which has 00601.03196.... Hmmm...
I presume there could be one or more typos involved in these numbers.

First, factory RHD Sprints would be in the AR854xxx chassis number range. AR822218 points to a Series 1 LHD Sprint from about 1963 -- before factory RHD cars were made. So, could your car be a Rudd Speed conversion? Show us a picture of the door handles -- they will tell a story of S1 vs S2 (and, if it's S1, as I'm guessing from your picture, it would for sure rule out the factory RHD version, as all factory RHD cars were S2). The location of the hand brake lever will also tell a story.

Secondly, I'd double check the stamping on the engine to see if it's really AR00604 (I never heard of an engine like that -- according to Fusi (see here) 00608 would be for RHD Sprint/Spider (up to engine AR00608*00699), but Fusi could be wrong.

Third, the chances of two engine numbers being exactly 100 apart (03296 vs 03196) seem pretty small. I can see part of the 03296 stamping in the image. That number (being in the thousands) would indicate a LHD engine (also from about 1963) having been transplanted into a RHD car, or, as mentioned above, that a LHD car was converted into a RHD car.

One way or the other, this car seems to be a bit of a Unicorn, which will make restoration interesting and possibly a wee bit harder (but it could also make it easier because there are more parts available for LHD cars).

Where is the chassis number stamped please?
The chassis number is above the type plate on the firewall. Usually, there's also a Bertone body number stamped on the lip (in the location shown below). The last three digits of that number are often used to mark parts (either by hammering it in or by using grease pen) that have been custom fitted to the body.

IMG_2754copy (markup).jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Mark, I do have a 2600 spider as well ,and have a few parts that may cross over , also think I have somewhere a window winder mechanism, that came from a sprint , Ian is the man in the UK ,he is having some wheels and seat parts from me, Cheers again Chris .
Thanks Chris - my name is Ken actually - I know Ian and met him recently at Bicester Heritage.
Actually, I would like to acquire or make a window winder 'emergency' handle if you have a photo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Many thanks Ruedi.

I came to the same 'unicorn' notion too, or mongrel ;-)

I will check the numbers tomorrow to be certain.
I have a spare engine that came with the car so will 'de-crud' that one as it may be the original.

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
FWIW, I looked up an old spreadsheet I have (from about the year 2000), where AR822218 is listed as a 1963 LHD Sprint belonging to "Dial Aircraft" in the UK (no address info or believable date of last contact), and the color given as Visone (Maroon).

AR822220 is listed as a Rudd RHD conversion, and so are several other chassis numbers in about the same number range (+/- 200 chassis numbers). So, I'd say there's a fairly good chance that (a) Rudd probably converted a batch of cars, and (b) AR822218 may be a Rudd conversion.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ken
Ruedi is the expert here.. As I recall the AR serial number is slightly "drivers right" and above of the I.D tag that Ruedi has circled in his post. I don't know the engine number of mine off hand but it is most certainly original to the car. I will report that asap. Grigio Grafetti looks really sophisticated and just right for these GT's
Ric

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
BTW, to get info about the original color scheme, I'd request a Certificato di Origine from FCA Heritage (here -- disable ad blockers for the site to see online submission form at the bottom of the page, or use e-mail address given on that page). Keep in mind that we're approaching Feragosto, so they may be slow to respond (weeks rather than days).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts