Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car came to us from Canada. And the owner has great plans for it. We will be converting it to a race car and we will be making a few modifications to the car as well. In the cars past ownership, it was owned by the wife of the Italian consulate in Portland. Also the car was most likely shipped over for them, because it has KPH speedo instead of MPH.

Steven and Charlie were working as a team to strip the car for its date with the blaster.

And today it came back from the blasters looking like this.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
It came back from the blasters looking like that!? Wow, it seems incredibly straight for a 40yo car! Look forward to watching this car develop.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I can't seem to find one for myself when I look. And every now then when one comes to the shop I want one all over again.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Wow, Daron! The start of what I'm sure will be another great thread. I'm jealous of the apparently minor amount of rust on this car. I hope I'll be able to find some inspiration for my own Super project.

I wish I knew about you before I booked time with my body man, even if it is a long way from Kentecky to your shop. Maybe if I inspire my guy with a few selected photos...

Thanks for all of your highly informative postings.

In anticipation,
Bob A.
Paducah KY

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Looks like you've got a bit of work to do on the front clip and around the arches, but I still can't believe how straight it is.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
it's unbelievable! I am sure my GTV won't look that nice after being stripped from it's paint :eek:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
..what year is that giulia?...
You raised my curiosity, so I fired off an e-mail to the Archivio Storico.

They wrote that the chassis number originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Giulia T.I. (105.14), manufactured on the 31st March 1964 and sold on the 25th September 1964 near Perugia, Italy.

Given that the US registration of the car was in 1965 may have meant that the car was never registered in Italy and didn't arrive on the West Coast of the US until 1965!?

BTW, someone posted an old pic of the car here keeping good company ;)http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=24792&highlight=deja

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
giulia ti

that's my car's twin brother! i also have a '65 giulia ti that is exactly the same color...grigio grafite. it is currently under construction w/ a 1750 engine, new tranny w/ lightened gears and many more. i will have it repainted with the same color.
i wonder when my car was made and first sold...??? it use to belong to the sf ara chapter president and he drove it for many, many years. i bought it from him several months ago.
daron, i wish you had a shop here...hmmm...how about a bay area branch?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Barnfind in France

Hello,

A barnfind from jan '07
I was just picking some spares I bought and I was surprised the all the part were incredibly fresh. Tranny was only 30.000 Km and sounded like new, Lights were as if coming from the box etc..

The guy explained that he bought a low mileage, unmolested, 1st hand super 10 ,years ago. But the relationship with the bodyshop went bad and he finally discovered the stripped body of the car in front of the bodyshop, lying on the ground with all the parts thrown on the floor and in the trunk. Another bodyshop finished the job but some parts were lost, all the bolts, nuts and screw were mixed. So he decided to part out the car. (he owns 10 other cars, and he doesn't have time to track the missing bits)

The body was for sale for 1500$, with all the paper OK. Unfortunately I was already the owner of ... 2 1st serie Super ('67x2):(
It was finished with the original colour: Grigio Grafite. (the original color for upholstery was black Texalfa, already sold)

SO I CONFIRM from my own experience: This colour is gorgeous !!

P1010775_resize.jpg

P1010755_resize.jpg

P1010770.jpg

P1010762_resize.jpg

Copie de P1010922_resize.jpg

Best regards
Sébastien

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Steven started in on the project today. He elected to start on the rear wheel arch issues first. And look what he found.....

Here he is carefully drilling out the spot welds.

And under the arch was this.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Is that just surface rust? Maybe I'm optimistic, but that doesn't look too bad for an inner wheel arch. Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are correct. It is just surface rust, no repairs on the inside will be made. We will fix the problem to prevent it from continuing, but thats about it.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well we didn't have as good of luck with the passenger side as we did with the driver side.

We started making the bead needed right then.

As for that driver side surface rust. We applied a rust locker over the cleaned metal. It requires 24 hrs to dry, but it looks good.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Holy crap! I knew it. Haha, that is the other TI the guy had who I bought my white column shift TI from! Too funny. I owned the sister car.

I posted that shot of the SZ and the two TIs with mine (well, formerly mine) being the white one. The photo came from the previous owner.

Well, I'm glad to see you got it. When I asked about he the owner hedged a bit (this was about 3 years ago). I was more than happy with the white one however.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have pictures of the other TI that William had for sale. It was blue with bright yellow seats! Never saw it in person though...

1 - 20 of 200 Posts