Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Attached, are few photos for reference with the old flywheel and P. Plate.

I am having difficulties with the clutch and flywheel installation, as I am almost 9mm
below the level I think I ought to be. Any thoughts?

Are the 3 nuts on the 3 arms on the pressure ring, where the release bearing goes on the pressure plate, adjustable?
They appear to be but don't want to fiddle unnecessarily.

In a 1750 installation, am I supposed to use the thick / thin flange between gearbox and engine?
Thank you for the kind help.

regards,
Alberto

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Don’t forget to to deduct the thickness of your vernier caliper your using as a parallel, looks like 2-3mm thick.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
IIRC I had some new or rebuilt Sachs pressure plates that had 3 steel staples for storage/transport to keep the springs from fully extending that needed to be removed before installation ... I think they were in the outer hinges ... you might want to check for that

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IIRC I had some new or rebuilt Sachs pressure plates that had 3 steel staples for storage/transport to keep the springs from fully extending that needed to be removed before installation ... I think they were in the outer hinges ... you might want to check for that
Will look. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,778 Posts
Are the 3 nuts on the 3 arms on the pressure ring, where the release bearing goes on the pressure plate, adjustable?
I don't know if your supposed to adjust the three nuts, but yes, you can. I did that when my throw-out fork had bent a bit and my clutch wasn't fully releasing - I could reach the nuts with the transmission installed, but would have had to remove the transmission to remove the throw-out fork.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Talk to Gordon Raymond here on the BB. he rebuilds those and knows all the in and out on them.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Jay and Jim, the transmission is out of the car, and yes, I'll reach out to Gordon.

Regards, Alberto

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Raymond,
as you can see from the pix, my pp is very different from the others.
I think we need to converse a while on this subject.
If I may, I would like to ring you, as writing will take forever.
So, if OK, can you send me your contact via a PM?
Thank you.
Regards, Alberto

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
I think you need to measure the height from the friction surface to the top were the pressure plate bolts up on both flywheels.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all, on Monday, I will post a more thorough photographic essay.

Happy Sunday! Alberto

·
Richard Jemison
7,990 Posts
The 1300/1600 clutch assemblies are not strong enough for a 1750. (Torque capacity). You should be using a 1750 flywheel with the 110 tooth ring gear replaced with a 105 tooth ring gear (Same ID) for the 1300/1600 starter and the hydraulic release bearing as used in the 1750 & 2L, and the adaptor sold by Centerlinealfa.com to work with the mechanical linkage.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Raymond, RJ is right, it is a 1750, as per thread title.

Regards, Alberto

·
Super Moderator
12,309 Posts
Then all my posts are not needed. I'll delete them. Gone.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's unfortunate Raymond, as I found them very enlightening and educational, as most probably did.

Thank you anyhow for your time and effort.

Kind regards, Alberto

·
Super Moderator
12,309 Posts
I misunderstood your application.

·
Super Moderator
12,309 Posts
Not a problem!

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Found a better solution, and as I had 2 original AD flywheels, will use the one without the starter ring gear, and install the one shown in the pictures.
It is 215mm in diameter, will use a modern pressure plate and
the Centerline adaptor for the hydraulic bearing.

Only issue, I ignore a 'proper way' of installing the new ring gear, oven, press?

Please, your thoughts. Thank you
Regards, Alberto

·
Super Moderator
12,309 Posts
How did you get it off? I press them on/off and will sometimes pin them on aluminum wheels. Not sure why I only sometimes pin them on aluminum. Maybe they went on too easy?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts