Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend my spider lost 1st & 2nd gear due to the $8.00 bolt on the selector fork. While removing the gearbox I noticed that my previous mechanic stripped the four studs on the block that mount to the bellhousing. Was able to remove three of the nuts but had to cutoff the fourth one. Probably will be able to fix three with a die, does anyone have experience with removing these studs?

Thanks
Zal

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I've never had to remove them, but as I recall the hole goes all the way through the block flange. You could try a good set of vice-grips on the non-thread portion. If the knucklehead so-called mechanic stripped the threads on the stud, it's my guess that they're probably too buggered-up to hold a good torque, even if a die cleans them up a bit. I'd think about replacing all of them.

I don't have one, but there are such things as specialty stud removal tools . . . . or a machine shop if it's not too much trouble to get the block down there. If you take it to a machine shop, you probably won't want to watch them get 'em out. Sort of like watching knee surgery . . . . on yourself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry to bother you but,, same thing just happened with me! :( Was wondering where you got the bolt for the selector fork or,,, what size it is? Thanks for your help!
Pappy-d

1 - 3 of 3 Posts