Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first time posting here. I love the community here, I appreciate all your contributions. I have learned a ton, so thank you! But now it’s my turn to post because I’m officially stumped.

I finally got my 1977 Alfetta Sedan up and running. Drove it around for a few days - such a blast!! But unfortunately it cut out & sputtered to a dead stop on me. The fuel gauge was reading above a quarter tank, I was not canyon carving or on a hill, when it cut out. Put 4 gallons of gas in but wouldn’t start. Pulled the plugs, cleaned them, checked the gaps - all good. Still wouldn’t start.

Car cranks but will not fire up. The fuel pressure light flashes once as I crank the motor, so I replaced front and back filters. But still refuses to start.

In accessory mode, I initially heard the fuel pump priming, but now all I hear is a buzzing from the main fuel pump.. do I have a dead pump? In-tank pump? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
1. Does the fuel low pressure light flash on for a couple seconds, then go out when you turn the key switch to ON?

2. When it cutout and died, did it act like gradual fuel starvation, or like the fuel just got completely cut off all of a sudden.

3. Do you have spark?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fuel pressure light comes on briefly for a second and then disappears as I turn to ON. It was gradual sputtering stop, like i was out of gas. And yes, I do have spark.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
1. Does it initially fire when using starting fluid?

2. Check the long and short rods. Does it look like any rod ends are cracked and let the rod ends slip the threads?

3. At idle, are the throttle butterflies fully closed?

4. Pull the wire off of the Fuel Cutoff Solenoid, tape it so it won't short-out against anything and try a start.

5. Is the Spica drive belt break?

If none of that stuff reveals anything:

Remove the air cleaner, then, without moving the throttle AT ALL, remove the three screws on the triangular plate on top of the injection pump and lift it off carefully not to damage the barometric compensator bellows. Set it aside carefully and securely on a towel or something soft. Look down into the hole in the injection pump towards the front. You will see a vertical spring in there. That's the Compensator Link Spring, which pulls up on the long arm that the Barometric Compensator pushes down on to tell the logic section what the pressure altitude (land elevation) is. Although not common, that spring is know to break. Push on it a little to make sure that it's attached both at the top and bottom.
Replace the triangular plate/BC into the injection pump. Report results. See pictures below.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Starting fluid is a no-go. I don’t see any rods cracked either. The fuel cutoff solenoid wire has been off and zip tied aside. I will try looking at the Link Spring today. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Are the throttle butterflies moving with the throttle? If you're getting nothing from starting fluid, then the problem is almost certainly the ignition, not the injection pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts