Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if you've seen my build thread, you know I put a Milano gearbox in my Alfetta GT. I kept the isostatic linkage, the Alfetta shift lever, and a homemade shift rod which uses the Milano attachment at the back, and Alfetta attachment at the front. The problem I'm having is it will go into 2nd and 4th, but not 1st, 3rd, or 5th. So when the lever moves forward, the rod doesn't go back far enough. I assume this means that making the rod a little longer will do the trick...provided going longer doesn't screw up the gears that are now working. However, It also won't go into R (which is on the lower line of gears along with 2nd and 4th). I've done some grinding on the underside of the shift lever unit, but to no avail. I'm sure I could continue to monkey around with it. But my question is this. Does anyone know if the Milano/GTV6 shift lever has a larger range of motion than the Alfetta? Has anyone successfully used an Alfetta shift lever to engage all of the gears in an isostatic linkage? If you have, then I know I should be able to get it to work. If it's not possible, then I don't want to waste my time, and I should be able to get a hold of a Milano shifter lever assembly. But then I'd have to mess with the shift rod attachment. In my build thread some suggested keeping the Alfetta linkage, but I've progressed way too far to do that at this point. I have the monkey kit installed, and wonder how much "adjustment" can be done there?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I´m sure u already know this but lengthwise adjustment of the gears on an Alfetta can be done by moving the support for the lever back and forth under the car.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, but yeah, I already "used up" that adjustment. I even lengthened the slots a little. :-(

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
If it's not going into the forward (pushing rod forward) gears the rod is too short.

I would suggest buying a Milano shifter housing/handle and rod, cutting out a short section of the rod in a straight section, getting a piece of tube that slides over both, and experiment with cotter pins/bolts in drilled holes until you find a preferred length. Then weld 'er up. I should have done this method but I've successfully "hybridized" a GTV6 front (seems to be the same as Alfetta) with iso bits at rear. You'll get to utilize the superior Milano shifter handle housing bushing if you upgrade...

The way I successfully made a "hybrid" rod was as follows (GTV6 front w/ Milano rear including iso bits):

1. put the trans into 3rd gear by pushing shift selector shaft straight into transaxle from neutral w corresponding rod, rod supported w/ jackstand or similar
2. put shifter handle forward almost to limiter bush (square hole in a round disc which is circliped to bottom of shifter handle assembly).
2 (b). determine length delta and make cuts
3. join front and back halves securely but not permanently
4. test other gears
5. welded up

I don't think anything can to be gained fore/aft in adjusting the iso bits.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I think I'll hit up NMMilano for the shift lever from a parts Milano and go from there. Thanks for the tip on using third gear as a base line. I had tried to use "gear lever floating in the middle" corresponding to gearbox in neutral, which is quite a bit more nebulous. I had thought of using an "adjustable" rod, but thought it was overkill. Apparently not. LOL. I did a little damage to the front of the Milano shift rod (the part that attaches to the lever), but I can make it work well enough.

Thanks all. Anymore experience would still be appreciated.

Nick

·
Registered
42 Posts
Experience? Yes. Solution? No.

I too have put an isostatic box and linkages from a 75 (milano) into an Alfetta GTV without iso. I used the front part of the alfetta rod with the rear of the 75 rod. I also cut a hole to make room and created a metal plate to cover. Mine is a road car so has to fit under the carpet. On the upside I have an access panel to my linkages! Rather than rivets I used self tapping screws.

I still couldn't get all gears (3rd was the hardest) and drove for a while with no third gear! Eventually I managed to get all the gears by filing away enough of the plastic bushing on the bottom of the alfetta gear lever to allow enough throw.

So, I can engage all the gears but the throw is too far and I have to make sure I fully engage gears. Finally, I have to hold the gear lever back for reverse and not fully engage the clutch.

I have been trying to come up with a good solution but without success so far. The 75 iso gear lever is longer at the bottom which would be perfect except there is no spare room for the shift rod to go any lower or it fouls on the torsion bar cross member.

I am currently looking at designs for a heavily modified shifter that mounts from on top instead of underneath the car and can therefore have the necessary throw without increasing the distance beneath the car.

But I'm hopeful some bright spark here has already created something that isn't too hard to fabricate that I can copy!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I had to file the plastic bushing also to get 1 and 2 but now have all the gears.
It's all in how you make the rod.....I am using the Milano/75 shifter also, I think that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts