Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Iso Rivolta-inspired 2600 Spider by Ghia was allegedly for sale in Italy some time ago for € 26,000.

Any forum readers who know more about this car?

Cheers, Klaas

Attachments

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Didn't that car get a mention in Winston Goodfellow's book a few years ago? For what it's worth, I recall seeing another Iso-inspired Alfa a couple of years ago, for sale through a dealer in France or Monaco - might have been Stefano Paracchi (sp?) or someone like that. The car was complete, but obviously in need of work, based on a 105 chassis but looked distinctly like a smaller version of the Iso Lele. My father has one, so the similarity was immediately obvious to me. I think it was a functional Bertone styling exercise, and it didn't seem expensive at the time for what it was, or might have been. Alas my photos of it were lost when my laptop suffered terminal meltdown in January. Like the Radford-bodied Sprint GT, has anyone else seen or got a photo of this car that they could post?

Alex.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I've never seen such an ugly car with the Alfa badge on it. It looks like . . like . . . an early 60s Ford Galaxie or something. Make it go away. :p

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Many Boneschi cars are "unusual" to say the least. The 2600s look kind of like big, ugly mid-60s Plymouth Valiants to me. There is a book that exists on cars with Boneschi coachwork.

·
Registered
266 Posts
K_Dijkhuizen said:
The only Boneschi-bodied 2600 Spider known to me so far is this horrible looking one, executed in American style.
Oh man, that thing makes my eyes burn! Front clip looks like a mid-60's Nova while the rear profile looks like a mid-60's full size Pontiac or Buick. Ouch! :eek:

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
I did email Stefano Paracchi today, and his reply is as follows:

Dear Alex,
The car is now restored, is body by Giugiaro, and in new good hand, show on Villa d'Este elegance concours in 2004 and in many other events in 2005, Alfa Romeo clasified a "Berlinetta Sperimentale"
When I find the pictures i send you.
Best Regards
Stefano

And this is the catalogue entry from the 2004 Villa d'Este Concours:

100. Alfa Romeo 1750, 1968
Carrozzeria/Body: Berlinetta prototipo
Concorrente/Entrant: Corrado Lopresto (I)

This interesting prototype was the only one produced. It was sold
by the Alfa Romeo Museum in 1985 in a batch along with other
technical and archive material (designs, engines etc..). Its shape,
in some ways precedes the Alfasud Berlinettas, despite its rear
traction mechanics. The design is of uncertain origin: some
believe it is the work of Giugiaro, others that of Frua.

I didn't have the time today to trawl through all the sites to find a photo to post here (dial-up modems suck, what can I say?!). It certainly wasn't the prettiest Alfa I have ever seen, but the Iso link did interest me. Maybe someone else can take up the baton unless I find some time this weekend?

Alex.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Iso Rivolta-inspired 2600

Thanks Alex, for the further info.

However, since I thought that the styling of the red spider shown in the first post seems somehow out of place in 1968, I did a quick internet search on "Berlinetta prototipo". At the 2004 Concorso d'Eleganza Villa D'Este an Iso-inspired Alfa Romeo was indeed shown, but it was an Iso Lele-inspired one, not an Iso Rivolta-inspired car.

The car can be seen on:

http://www.prova.de/archiv/2004/00-artikel/0058-villa-deste/index.shtml

A separate image is posted too.

The mystery around the red spider remains...

Cheers,

Klaas

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
Klaas beat me to the punch. Another picture of the car at Villa d'Este can be seen by going to http://www.carsfromitaly.com then navigating to the Alfa Romeo home page, then to the "Gallery", and from there to "Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este 2004" where an "Alfa Romeo prototype (1968)" is shown.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Great detective work guys!

Well, it looks considerably better now than when I first saw it! Stefano has promised to send me some photos of the car as it was when he had it, so we could do a little "before and after". I won't annoy everyone by revealing just how cheaply that car could have been bought for 3 years ago. It might not be to everyone's taste and, like my Dad's Lele, it is a little "heavy" at the rear of the car ... but I just love it. Am I the only one?!

Alex.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The mystery around the red spider remains...
I agree 100%

We are still talking about a Spider, as far as we can see from the photos.

The data given by Stefano Paracchi deal with a Berlinetta Speciale.
Your links show exactely this car. It really looks very much like a Giugiaro design, IMHO.
Maybe Paracchi mixed up the Berlinetta with "our" mystery Spider... :confused:
But I remember 100% that he had the Spider in his inventory some time ago!

From its style, it really looks like based on a 2000 or 2600...

Best regards
Ciao Carlo :cool:

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
I think the segway into the Berlinetta Speciale came from this post where a ISO Lele was mentioned.

The red spider is indeed a mystery. While most designs at the time had a certain look that the designers adapted to certain marques (just compare a 2000 or 2600 Touring Spider to a Maserati 3500, a Sunbeam Alpine and/or an Aston Martin DB2 to see what I mean), this red prototype has a hodge-podge of styling elements that make the matter quite confusing.

It appears the ISO Rivolta GT was designed by Giugiaro. As for Ghia styling elements, this car reminds me of the Fiat 2300S Sartorelli designed for Ghia. Other than that, I see no resemblace to Ghia styling of that period. There are also design elements that could be attributed to Frua or Michelotti (who according to the Michellotti car register designed the OSI Alfa Romeo 2600 de Luxe).

This is a really interesting quest, Klaas. Thanks for tracking the forgotten 2600 children and orphans. I'll spend some time paging through old Quattroruote magazines to see if I can find any pictures or references...

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Yes, apologies for taking this thread off at a tangent. One thought has occurred to me (and I might be completely wrong, of course ...). Since Italy is (or was) full of little carrozzerie, could it be the case that this car was involved in an accident at some time in its early life, and the owner maybe decided to commission someone to remodel it in the fashion of the new Rivolta? There are plenty of stories of this happening to other cars from other marques, especially competition cars. Just wondering if this is a theory that can be shot down in flames right away, or not! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
There are some weird enough elements on the red car to be Vignale, and there was a series of 47 Vignale bodied 106s (Delmas Greene owns one), but we do not know how many body variations there are amongst the 47 cars. It would be nice if someone could go see the car and get the serial number, which would provide a lot more information.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
3500 Supersport

What about the rear of the red spider? Don't you agree that it somewhat resembles the rear of the 1960 Alfa Romeo 3500 Supersport by Pininfarina?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Stu:

Isn't Delmas Greene's Vignale coupe actually a 102 series car and not a 106 as you stated? I judged that car several years ago and recall the cast iron 2 liter under the hood and the distinctive 102 nose and scoops.

I think that all these special bodied cars are pretty cool, even the ugly ones... ;)

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair

1 - 20 of 76 Posts