Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's becoming clear that, after nearly 40 years, my 1971 1750 spider will be needing significant mechanical work soon, along with (hopefully) minor body work and a new top.

Fortunately, it's (IMO) in such good shape overall I don't personally think a full restoration is required. The motor needs refreshing (all original, 100k miles), which makes it a good time to get the SPICA pump rebuilt. There's one (HOPEFULLY!!!) minor rust area to repair, with some other minor dents and dings and a tired paint job. It's got a cheap top that was poorly installed (by me) so that's on the list as well. I have no intention of seriously showing the car, intend it to be an occasional driver and actually rather appreciate the patina it's acquired over the years.

I'm located in Herndon, VA (north-western VA area). Does anyone have recommendations for shops that could do some or all of the work I'm looking for? I'd prefer something within about 15 miles of here, but will entertain just about anything in the DC-MD-VA-PA-WV area. I'm familiar with many of the Alfa shops in the area but haven't dealt seriously with any of them for quite some time, so I don't know if their service offerings have changed since last I checked.

My preliminary pre-consult budget is $7500, with an expected start date probably some time late next year.

TIA for any help provided!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm just south of Herndon. I used John's Auto Body run by Fausto Lamboglio to repair some underbody rust (including a weak jacking point) on my GTV-6. He did a much better job than the first shop I sent to for rust repair. Fausto's shop is on the other side of the beltway. I saw several other Alfas there under restoration.

As far as the mechanical work, I'll defer to local Spider owners on that one.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Could you post contact info? A quick internet search came up empty. Well, nothing definitive at any rate. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
For the mechanical stuff...

Precision Auto in Merrifield (or maybe Annandale) is reputed to do very good mechanical work (have no direct experience with them but the PO of a former Spider of mine used them).

I like Milano motors in Kensington, MD but that is a bit of a hike from Herndon. Julio is known far and wide in the DC area as the chief Alfa guru. He *may* do a top replacement--probably depends on how busy he is.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts