Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, In December I purchased my first Alfa, a highly modified 1968 RHD Guilia Sprint (original embems came removed but with it). It is a solid body Step-Nose and I have began transforming it into a powerful South Africa street (must have backseat for my kids)/trackday car. I have a complete Alfaholics Blue suspension, with Koni Sports, etc. The undisclosed 2.0L Nord has been removed for a 2.0L Twin Spark EFI from a 155 (yes we know the conversion issues) which will run a low pressure turbo.

Quite obviously I am not in anyway wanting to fake a GTA, as this car is not being built that way. However, I love the stripes and Cloverleafs and have added them as a tribute. Next it to remove the sunroof, as I would like to add some rigidity. We are considering a GTA style roof, and a vintage-style roll bar. The old rollbar will not meet any racing class specs, but that is not the intent. It would add rigidity, but still allow my 5/7 year old to ride in the Alfa...which is the whole point.

I am interested in opinions on this project, if you don't like feel free to say so. I just want to know how Alfa people will react to a project like this???

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Photo, Purchased to State before Suspension/Engine Removed

Photo of the car as purchased

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Photo of State Prior to Removing Engine and Suspension

The slow road back to getting it back to a period correct appearance (interior being stripped as well), and now stripping for modernizing of the drivetrain for performance

Attachments

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
"GTA Tribute" is just a sweetened way of saying "Fake GTA".

Copy all you want from GTA styling. Just don't use the "GTA" moniker. It's still a GTV. They are fine cars, and look good in the GTA livery and body mods. But there is nothing "GTA" about them.

Robert

·
Registered
620 Posts
This may be sacrilege but about the only thing I don't like about GTAs is that stripe that breaks up the beautiful lines on the sides. But heck, it is your car, go for the look you like best.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome to the Alfabb.

Roam around on the various forums and discover many differences of aesthetic opinion.

Maybe you should join the 'Scuderia Non Origionale,' (no responsibilities of any kind are required) and be the 'Director of the Pretoria Chapter' and put one of their triangle decalcomania on one of the car's windows. Just a thought. Check 'em out.

But by appealing to the *gods* (gods = guys who like to impose their opinion) on the Alfa Bulletin Board, you invite them to send buzzards to pick at your liver.

Sometimes they have no sense of context.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys,
I appreciate the opinions, I would never attempt to pass the car off as a GTA. I know how offended people get about things, so I will not call it a Tribute GTA.

·
Super Moderator
12,090 Posts
But by appealing to the *gods* (gods = guys who like to impose their opinion) on the Alfa Bulletin Board, you invite them to send buzzards to pick at your liver. Sometimes they have no sense of context.
Haw haw - well written!

Here's my contribution to buzzard-like behavior: That aftermarket sunroof has got to go!

Scottyairborne: You might find that the GT (1965-1974) section of the BB is a more receptive forum for discussing your modified '68.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
[I am interested in opinions on this project, if you don't like feel free to say so. I just want to know how Alfa people will react to a project like this???

Well, you did ask . . . I'm frankly stunned that anybody would do something like that to a GTV (or any other vintage Alfa for that matter). To think that someone intentionally chose that bilious color, made the interior to match . . . Fortunately, it wasn't you. :)

If this were an original, unmolested, car its fine condition would be a strong argument against modifying it because stepnose GTVs are highly prized and rapidly becoming worth real money (a later supurb '74 recently made US40k at auction here). But this car's been significantly altered.

Most of the GTV/GTA transformations are more "in the style of" GTA's rather than genuine down to the rivets replicas which, well done, would be hard to tell from the original. I think this is entirely in keeping with the history of the cars because, in period, lots of GTA stuff found it's way onto GTV's and even spiders and Supers. Some of the best versions of "in the style of" GTV's are being produced by Alfaholics and Vintage Customs here in the states. While these cars are much modified and quite fast, they nonetheless keep the intrisnic spirit of performance Alfas. You can get some good ideas on how to build your car from visiting their sites. Good luck and keep us posted.

Oh, and I agree that it's poor taste to put GTA emblems on a car that's still basically a GTV. A real replica might be different, however.

·
Registered
222 Posts
So far, I have tried to keep my cars fairly stock (or easily returned to stock). But hey, it's your car!

Enjoy it any way you like.

(BTW, certain very well respected suppliers such as Alfaholics, make a very good business creating recreation GTAs and GTAms from GTV chassis).

·
Registered
314 Posts
could someone please tranfer this post in the correct gtv section, i see absolutely no relation to any GTA realted matter in this post.
thank you
good evening .

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
[, i see absolutely no relation to any GTA realted matter in this post.
thank you
good evening

Fortunately, you are not the gatekeeper here. The bb is not so catholic (small "c" intended) that a discussion of GTA replicas is antithetical to a forum on GTA's. If you can find nothing useful to say on the subject of the proliferation and appropriateness of building replicas (in various guises) of these historically famous cars then we won't mind your absence. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am trying to accept it, but my eyes are hurt the more i look at it... and my brain can't even comprehend... I wish the original owner never went through on "personalizing" the car ... :(

I am glad at least that you enjoy it! Please continue to take care of it...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It certainly had some things that made you wonder WHY??? Right now it is completely stripped drivetrain wise, and new complete Alfaholics suspension is going in. The brake system is in the mail, and the engine is just being balanced prior to install.

Definitely going to get a Non-Originale sticker for the window, and see if we can't get a Pretoria Chapter going.

I scored some very nice Mk1 1750 seats that have been freshly wrapped in black, so interior is well on its way to perior correct. Once the drivetrain is all back together we'll get it over to have the cage built. New lightened roof (periord style riveted application) will follow, then we can button up the interior.

All mods and repairs to the body are being coated in flat black, once it is finalized I will tone down the remaining yellow (maybe back to the factory Dark Blue we have uncovered, with flat black front).

·
Registered
578 Posts
It sounds like you are on the right track - I wouldn't bother about the roll cage - just a hassle unless you need one, painting it blue sounds like a good move.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hans,
Thanks, we are worried a chassis twist since the roof has lost integrity... and the fact we are running a turbocharged twin spark.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hallo scottyairborne( nice name!!!) ,

i have a roof in yellow for you, cost nothing,but you must pick it up in germany!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ulrich,
Very hard to argue with that deal, but we have one ready to go on here in ZA. I'm sure someone will take you up on that kindness, hopefully there aren't too many running around with holes in the roof like mine. Is the one you have a steel roof???
I expect my next assignment will be in Germany, and I can't wait to pick the parts in Europe that are so rare in Africa. I will of course bring 5-6 bodies with me, since they are a tenth of Europe prices for the car!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts