Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 3 wire connector is not plugged into anything in my 83 spider. It is near the ECU. Should this be plugged into something?

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Just looked in a 1985 and no red plug. Can you show a picture of the open end of the connector?

I believe the labels are reversed for the main relay and fuel relays

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
This 3 wire connector is not plugged into anything in my 83 spider. It is near the ECU. Should this be plugged into something?
if your ECU is a Bosch #0 280 000 206
and that connector has two pins (but 3 wires), then its the "high altitude jumper"

you jumper it when you get really high......

...like a few thousand meters high...;)

the later 85 or so on, had a different ECU # and a variable altitute comp device (like in photo above) and then that connector would be 3 pin, 3 wire.

Edit/s: it is I believe at 4000 foot up, that one should jump the connector.
And the alt. comp. device likely appeared first in 1984, not 85.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
and that connector has two pins (but 3 wires), then its the "high altitude jumper"

the later 85 or so on, had a different ECU # and a variable altitute comp device (like in photo above) and then that connector would be 3 pin, 3 wire.
And I am guessing that is also when the solenoid activated VVT came out in 1985. Yes?

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
I'm not 100% certain there Greg

As the altitude comp device first appeared sometime in '84 - and not '85 as I said above -
and with this came the change to the ECU number ending in #221 (instead of #206), then it is likely the solenoid activated VVT came in, already by 84, as to trigger it it must have required a rewritten ECU.

for example, Eric's '84 spider has the alt comp device.......which begs the question does his '84 also have a solenoid VVT??.....
Eric, what say ye?

What is certain is a US patent that BB member Tubut first made us aware of (# 4535731), filed May 1983 and granted August 1985 by Alfa Romeo SpA (inventor: Ambrogio Banfi) which first makes mention of a solenoid activated Variable timer.
"the axially movable valve means being operationally connected to an electromagnetic linear actuator which receives a command in the form of an electric signal from an electronic central unit in response to signal received from prechosen engine parameter sensors whereby the axially movable valve means moves to close the vent means causing oil to flow to the chamber. "

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Edit/s: it is I believe at 4000 foot up, that one should jump the connector.
And the alt. comp. device likely appeared first in 1984, not 85.
Yes, this connector is a 3 wire, 2 pin. So sounds like mystery is solved, thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,790 Posts
Also the later computer superseded the earlier computer for replacement.

·
Administrator
17,709 Posts
for example, Eric's '84 spider has the alt comp device.......which begs the question does his '84 also have a solenoid VVT??.....
Eric, what say ye?
'84 Spider, alt compensation device present, centrifugal VVT (no solenoid).

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
My 1985 has both the VVT solenoid and the compensator so that make sense.
Did the spark ECU ever change or just the fuel ECU?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts