Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
500 Mondial Series 2 - Page 23 - Ferrari Life

Note this 195? Ferrari 500 Mondial has a transaxle and DeDion rear suspension but the DeDion is located by a sliding block. This is the only other place I've ever seen a sliding block.
Pete

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
500 Mondial Series 2 - Page 23 - Ferrari Life

Note this 195? Ferrari 500 Mondial has a transaxle and DeDion rear suspension but the DeDion is located by a sliding block. This is the only other place I've ever seen a sliding block.
Pete
Sliding block was also done in that 50's Bugatti F1 car with the transverse mid mount motor and live axle in the front/deDion rear.
I also vaguely recall seeing pics of a Maserati 250F transaxle that similarly located it's deDion with a sliding block that ran against the trans case.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Great info Strega ... wasn't aware of those pieces. Thanks.

Pete, you are probably aware that Carlo was a Ferrari engineer ...

Sliding block was also done in that 50's Bugatti F1 car with the transverse mid mount motor and live axle in the front/deDion rear.
I also vaguely recall seeing pics of a Maserati 250F transaxle that similarly located it's deDion with a sliding block that ran against the trans case.

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great info Strega ... wasn't aware of those pieces. Thanks.

Pete, you are probably aware that Carlo was a Ferrari engineer ...
Yes and like a lot of Italian automotive engineers bounced around the different manufacturers.

I've always wondered where the strange sliding block idea came from. Now it does not seem so weird :)
Pete

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
With the reference to Ferrari- Bugatti and Maserati 250 could indicate. Colombo.

We know the problems that there was between the Alfa organisation and Colombo around the construction of rear axle design on the 1900 and the disco Volante.
So he can probably have been taking his ides further on to his other employment.

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We know the problems that there was between the Alfa organisation and Colombo around the construction of rear axle design on the 1900 and the disco Volante.
No I don't. Please enlighten me :)
Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts