Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 GTV6/3.0, 80-911/3.6/313RWHP
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a pretty nice 84 with a 3.0 conversion. The exhaust was a complete mess, but upon putting it on the rack, I noticed this in the shift linkage. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Obviously I will correct the terrible welds, but it appears the rod was lengthened for some reason

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did they change the TA linkage and then had to modify the rod? I had to do this when putting a Milano LSD TA in an Alfetta albeit a little neater.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh maybe. It has an lsd and a 3.0. So maybe. But it was done poorly for sure. Seems to shift ok. Thanks!!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,291 Posts
Yeah, the GTV6 got the isostatic linkage in '86 at least...maybe '85. It's a nice improvement over the older shifter provided the bushings etc. at the transmission end are in good shape.

I weld like crap and even I'd be embarrassed by that one! Should be pretty easy to make prettier, though. Or maybe Larry at Alfa Parts Exchange has a good GTV isostatic link.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol. Ok cool. Yes my 8-year old daughter can weld better than that. The whole exhaust looks like that too. It’s all going in the bin

·
Premium Member
14,956 Posts
When I installed a Platinum LSD tranny in my 84 GTV6 we (RJ & myself) replaced the isostatic imput shaft with one from a GTV6 tranny. There was no need to weld anything. IMO the early GTV6 shifter is preferable to the Iso type and I had two Milano's.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I don't recognize where this is on the car. A wild guess is that this is the center track rod.
Although he doesn't bother to say, I think he is talking about a 84 trans axel car.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
The welding is required if you use the shifter from an earlier non-isostatic car with the rear linkage at the transaxle from an isostatic shifter car.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes sorry! its an 84 GTV6. I am new to Alfas, so I am not well-versed on what they may have been trying to accomplish. Sadly familiar with "Previous Owner Syndrome" that we see all the time in my shop. With the early 911's though, I already know what to look for and can deduce what someone was trying to do...Flying blind with this at the moment, but learning is the joy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts