Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are others sites out there; Alfaowner.com
Alfa156.net

I was wondering which is the official Alfa Romeo forum on the web....
I know that the other sites are non-official enthusiast sites, but what about this one????

The reason I ask is that I don't see that many threads over here as I see on the above mentioned ones...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usa Alfa Romeo bulletin board, need help? Own an Alfa?
I do own an Alfa. Its a 2003 156 2.5 V6.
So this site is for Alfa owners in the US??? :eek:
Could you tell me how many 156s are there in the US & Canada?
As far as I've heard, there aren't any...... :confused:

·
Registered
606 Posts
I do own an Alfa. Its a 2003 156 2.5 V6.
So this site is for Alfa owners in the US??? :eek:
Could you tell me how many 156s are there in the US & Canada?
As far as I've heard, there aren't any...... :confused:
None that I know of "Officially", Alfa stopped importing here in 95, they are scheduled to start again in 2012, looks like a big result for their return?

ncng

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok... so that's why not many threads on the 156 / 147 area....

Thanks for the info.... Nice to know that there are Alfa fans in the US.... :)

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
This is not strictly an American site.
There are 1000's of members, contributers, and lookers from all over the world. Unfortunatly we in the States have not received any of the new cars since the 1994 model year when Alfa Romeo left here, so we have not had the pleasure of driving and working on the new ones. :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is not strictly an American site.
There are 1000's of members, contributers, and lookers from all over the world. Unfortunatly we in the States have not received any of the new cars since the 1994 model year when Alfa Romeo left here, so we have not had the pleasure of driving and working on the new ones. :(
Well I'm not sure how you guys in the US would take Alfa's return to the market considering your local manufacturers are struggling as it is....
First off, I've heard rumors that the cars are going to be marketed as Chryslers over there and Chrysler models as Alfas in Europe, but that would be a big mistake on Fiat's part. Alfa's brand has been established as an exotic and sporty marque; quite far from the brand image that Chrysler has.
Also prior to the Fiat's acquisition of Chrysler, the newer cars like the Brera / 159 used GM engines.... Now it seems that Fiat would be looking into replacing them with Chrysler units, which as I understand aren't as reliable. The 159s so far have proven quite reliable due to the GM engine influences.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
...Now it seems that Fiat would be looking into replacing them with Chrysler units, which as I understand aren't as reliable...
I have one million miles total using the Chrysler 3.3L V-6 without a single mechanical failure. Almost useless.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,335 Posts
"Well I'm not sure how you guys in the US would take Alfa's return to the market considering your local manufacturers are struggling as it is.... "

Actually, all three are doing rather well at this time.

"First off, I've heard rumors that the cars are going to be marketed as Chryslers over there and Chrysler models as Alfas in Europe, but that would be a big mistake on Fiat's part. Alfa's brand has been established as an exotic and sporty marque; quite far from the brand image that Chrysler has"

Not true at this time. Model identifications are still in flux. I don't think anything has been decided as of yet.

"Also prior to the Fiat's acquisition of Chrysler, the newer cars like the Brera / 159 used GM engines.... Now it seems that Fiat would be looking into replacing them with Chrysler units, which as I understand aren't as reliable. The 159s so far have proven quite reliable due to the GM engine influences"

Chrysler engines have proven to be rather reliable. I've seen the engineering breakdown and schematics for the new Chrysler V-6 engine, and we would be getting a very finely engineered and efficient engine, probably with some Alfa tuning input.

While I have enjoyed the 1991-1995 Alfa V-6 engines, and the 4 cyls as well through the decades, they have always had a few bugs in them which have proven to be irritating, even costly at times. Alfa could use some other input to help rid their engine designs of these bugs. Lets face it, Alfa engine design has been superseded by other manufacturers, no thanks of course to Fiat.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
First off, I've heard rumors that the cars are going to be marketed as Chryslers over there and Chrysler models as Alfas in Europe, but that would be a big mistake on Fiat's part.
That is in my opinion little more than wishful thinking and a playground type sensation.

Also prior to the Fiat's acquisition of Chrysler, the newer cars like the Brera / 159 used GM engines....
While not an outright lie, it's not entirely true either. I wish this myth would just die. The only "GM" thing left in e.g. a 2.2 JTS is the engine block. Just that. The slab of iron onto which you bolt all the interesting parts. It's like saying a 164 is a rebadged SAAB 9000.

Not to mention, of course, that the 159, Brera and Spider all sold with FPT engines now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While I have enjoyed the 1991-1995 Alfa V-6 engines, and the 4 cyls as well through the decades, they have always had a few bugs in them which have proven to be irritating, even costly at times. Alfa could use some other input to help rid their engine designs of these bugs. Lets face it, Alfa engine design has been superseded by other manufacturers, no thanks of course to Fiat.
Well I'm a huge fan of he Arese V6. The 2.5 version in my Alfa 156 was voted as engine of the year back in 2000. The engine has proved rather reliable for me... I've not faced a problem with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While not an outright lie, it's not entirely true either. I wish this myth would just die. The only "GM" thing left in e.g. a 2.2 JTS is the engine block. Just that. The slab of iron onto which you bolt all the interesting parts. It's like saying a 164 is a rebadged SAAB 9000.

Not to mention, of course, that the 159, Brera and Spider all sold with FPT engines now.
I was told that the engines were complete GM / Holden and were only fine-tuned by Alfa.
I had a look at the FPT site and failed to see a V6 in the lineup of engines....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have one million miles total using the Chrysler 3.3L V-6 without a single mechanical failure. Almost useless.
I have a friend who had a 1996 Concorde. After about 6 years of using the car from new, its started giving issues...
Over here Chrysler doesn't enjoy the best reputations.... people tend of get rid of their cars as soon as the first signs of trouble start showing..
The same with Ford... but GMC / Chevy on the other hand enjoys the best of reps among the Amercian brands.
Frankly I think Ford's engineering is superior to GM's are a equally as reliable; but no one agrees with me. I guess never thought that Chrysler would be same... :)

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,335 Posts
"Well I'm a huge fan of he Arese V6. The 2.5 version in my Alfa 156 was voted as engine of the year back in 2000. The engine has proved rather reliable for me... I've not faced a problem with it"

Well, I also liked the V-6 engines in the GTV6's I owned and the one in the Milano we still have. I mentioned the ones in the 91S and the 94LS specifically because they have so much more "sparkle" you might say. Still underpowered for their displacement compared to some other makes (but still not real slouches either). The engines in the GTV6's just didn't have that, and the engine in the Milano should have been the Verde version from the get go, the 2.5 being just plain underpowered. Alfa was just too conservative.

The engines themselves have been reliable (except for the valve stem seal problem, which tended to pop up in various models/years in my case, the 81 GTV6 and the 91 164S), but the way the engine was designed, there was always the potential for the cams to get out of time and ruin the engine, esp in the 24v. Newer versions of the V-6 might have been better in that respect, but alas, can't comment on that. Other manufacturers had done a better job of reducing/eliminating that flaw. Often, the Alfa cars themselves were hampered by unreliable components, though. Pity.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well, I also liked the V-6 engines in the GTV6's I owned and the one in the Milano we still have. I mentioned the ones in the 91S and the 94LS specifically because they have so much more "sparkle" you might say. Still underpowered for their displacement compared to some other makes (but still not real slouches either). The engines in the GTV6's just didn't have that, and the engine in the Milano should have been the Verde version from the get go, the 2.5 being just plain underpowered. Alfa was just too conservative.

The engines themselves have been reliable (except for the valve stem seal problem, which tended to pop up in various models/years in my case, the 81 GTV6 and the 91 164S), but the way the engine was designed, there was always the potential for the cams to get out of time and ruin the engine, esp in the 24v. Newer versions of the V-6 might have been better in that respect, but alas, can't comment on that. Other manufacturers had done a better job of reducing/eliminating that flaw. Often, the Alfa cars themselves were hampered by unreliable components, though. Pity.
Jeremy Clarkson said that Alfa made cars to be the best that they could be.. Briefly.... And he's right.
There is no comparison for that feeling you get when ur in an Alfa and everything works the way it should; even if it for a short period of time... Those are the moments when you're almost convinced that ur in the best car there is.... and you really don't care that there are other cars that are faster, more reliable, etc.....
I don't believe that the Arese V6 is underpowered at all. Sure German manufacturers could get more power from a similar displacement, but I would say that what the Arese engines lacked in BHP, they more than well made up for it in terms of Torque. A properly tuned Arese can gave the right balance of BHP and torque in my opinion. Still the above flaws are there and haven't been totally eliminated in the newer cars. My car has showed signs if timing issues... But still compared with the TS engines, its far more better and has never let me down.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I have a friend who had a 1996 Concorde. After about 6 years of using the car from new, its started giving issues...
1996? I wonder if that was a Mitsu engine? I'm not claiming anything about those POS. More smoke than the Marlboro man. Or the POS 2.7, which I never ran. Everything else MOPAR I have owned has been bullet proof.

...(the Arese V-6) its far more better and has never let me down.
Can't argue that. I'm a big fan. Hope to start my V-6 spider conversion this summer.

Personally I am hoping for good things from the association with Chrysler... but who knows. At least I got a new Fiat out of it so far. Or my wife did, anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts