Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is not accident damage. It is additional metal to reinforce the swaybar mount. The welding is not the greatest, but it should hold.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, learned something new today. Now if I can just remember it tomorrow....

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Agreed on the welding. It's recommended that if you are increasing the diameter of the front sway bar, you should weld on 'doubler gussets' to keep the hardware from ripping out of the frame under the added pressures. So maybe that and the Koni shocks should be seen as good news. Could be seen as signs that the past owner went out of his way to do things right.

·
Premium Member
16,689 Posts
When we bought the Shankle suspension kit for our MIlano, it came with those gusset/doublers which we had welded on many years ago.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I thought all the USA cars had catalytic convertors on them. This one seems to have euro front pipes, and an Oxygen sensor. Seems like an odd combination to me.

·
Premium Member
16,689 Posts
Well, US owners, at least, do sometimes change things with their cars, sometimes installing European parts. But, yes, the US destined Alfettas and on cars did have cats to start with.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Question related to the weld in plates: I moved my Shankle bars from my old Milano to my new (and now mint) Milano...has anyone ever seen or experienced damage to the frame or sheet metal from using the 27mm bar without the supplied reinforcing plates?

·
Premium Member
16,689 Posts
When we bought the Shankle semi-race suspension for our Milano, Shankle said the reinforcement was definitely needed because of tearout they had experienced, at least with their bars.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
From those more in the know than I, there was a mixed reaction on the Milano Verde 25mm bar I was saving for my GTV6 project. But the input on the 27mm bar was more emphatic on reinforcing the chassis with the doublers. So, I sold my 27mm bar and went with the 25mm unit... with the reinforcing gussets. Was told the 27mm sway bar would make my 'canyon carver' into more of a track car than I was going for. I wanted the better cornering without killing the street ride.

·
Premium Member
16,689 Posts
Stab bars don't affect the ride down the street, as they are not springs. Affect only roll stiffness in a turn.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Question related to the weld in plates: I moved my Shankle bars from my old Milano to my new (and now mint) Milano...has anyone ever seen or experienced damage to the frame or sheet metal from using the 27mm bar without the supplied reinforcing plates?
Yes,I've seen cars with damage to this area with stock sway bars at 24mm. At 27mm...you ought to have this area reinforced. Just one opinion after seeing many cars.

·
Premium Member
79 Alfetta GT (Sprint Veloce)
71 Posts
A well timed thread for us. We're just putting a 30+ year resto on the road, and it has the 27mm front Shankle bar, along with a 27mm torsion bar (Shankles biggest) and orange Konis. We have the Shankle strengthening plates somewhere, but I'm wondering how urgently we should view getting them put on.

I've read here that the bar mount damages come more from bars put on cars with big bars but stock springs, and that if we've got stiffer springing (160% in this case), that should assist the bar greatly in anti-roll duties and place less stress on the bar mounts, and hence render them less vulnerable. That makes much sense to me.

We've grown weary of time and work consuming expenses and just want to drive so are wanting to postpone this one awhile and wanting to know if others have guidance or experience here.

Our (fingers crossing hard) final requiring resto item (vibrating propshaft) going in this weekend, and driving anticipations are at a boil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts