Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a box of spare parts with my 72 Spider, and this piece was included.

It looks kinda like the rear trans mount, but pics of mounts in Centerline catalog show the rubber part to have holes, OR the center hole is off-center.
The rubber here is solid.
The aluminum diameter is 2.5" and the width is 1.75".

ALSO, there is a small crack in the rubber (see red arrows) - would this be significant? If a trans mount, the other trans mounts shown in the catalog have large gaping holes intentionally put in the rubber (possibly to be a less stiff ride?)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

20210102_095635.jpg

20210102_095640.jpg

20210102_095701.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Sure looks like a suspension bushing

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,298 Posts
Maybe an attempt to make a stiffer rear trailing arm bushing? 2-1/2" seems slightly small for a transmission mount but maybe my memory is going.

The stock transmission mounts have a lot of openings in the rubber for compliance. If you go stiffer there you wind up with nasty vibrations. Everyone I've seen on here who's tried to stiffen the trans mount on a street car has regretted the decision.

·
Super Moderator
11,561 Posts
Maybe an attempt to make a stiffer rear trailing arm bushing?
I agree that it looks like someone's attempt to make .... well, something. I can't think of any stock '72 spider parts that look like that. The outer, aluminum sleeve looks non-standard, some sort of a rubber bushing has been pressed into it, probably with the goal of producing a stiffer version of a transmission or rear trailing arm mount.

As others have written, putting a stiffer bushing in either place (trans or trailing arm) is usually a bad idea. Like the previous owner, I'd keep that one in the spare parts box as a curiosity.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
I agree that it looks like someone's attempt to make .... well, something. I can't think of any stock '72 spider parts that look like that. The outer, aluminum sleeve looks non-standard, some sort of a rubber bushing has been pressed into it, probably with the goal of producing a stiffer version of a transmission or rear trailing arm mount.

As others have written, putting a stiffer bushing in either place (trans or trailing arm) is usually a bad idea. Like the previous owner, I'd keep that one in the spare parts box as a curiosity.
I went through my parts and can find no suspension or any other part that looks like that. Especially with that outer sleeve.
I would not worry about it especially since it has cracked rubber.
Maybe someone else has seen it before. If anyone has, it might be Jim G.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Looks like a rear transmission mount to me for a race car. It’s not uncommon at all to use it much stiffer rear mount for a car not driven on the street.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
the tranny mount is about 63,8mm so yes that homemade item being 2.5" would fit

wouldn't want to put that on anything but a race car, though..........tranny mounts on road cars are made soft for a reason.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW. Thanks!!
Looks like it was installed, and then quickly removed, as it has virtually NO WEAR on it, except for the two circumferential circles around the perimeter, where it probably comes in contact with the trans (see attached).

20210114_093704.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts