Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
This may be totally unrelated, but I had an issue with the distributor on a Duetto 1600. It started reliably but it was missing intermittently and then started to get worse. In an effort to verify and adjust the ignition timing and point gap, I was getting erratic results when trying to turn the engine till the points just opened. Sometimes a 5-7 degree difference in the timing mark when the points opened. To make a long story short, the drive dog on the distributor shaft had worn the hole for the roll pin into an oblong shape allowing the timing to vary widely. You can see it on the attached picture. I wonder if something like this could allow enough variation in the timing to cause a no start situation and then when you roll the car it somehow changes the relation of the roll pin in the drive dog to get the timing closer to correct? I am not sure how pushing the car "in nuetral" could possibly transfer any motion to the engine to change anything, it seems unlikely but... just a thought.
IMG_20190920_123056637.jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oil Pump drive gear still okay, see thread below?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Update: I replaced my distributor with 123 ignition and also replaced my coil. according to my mechanic, he has no idea how my car was running previously since the breaker point on my distributor wasn't adjusted properly and was basically touching the distributor cam the whole time.

anyway, i left three hours back and ran a few errands along the way. So far I've been able to start the car every time but twice i've had to struggle a bit similar to the video below. most times though i can just turn it on with the key and not have to press on the gas and it will start and idle.

so thinking this could be a carb tuning issue maybe, not sure since he adjusted my carbs, gonna give it a few days and see what happens. hopefully, though this solved whatever issue I was previously facing and i don't have to pull out the engine to replace the flywheel ring,

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hmmm don’t think it’s carb, it sounds like something is scraping metal if that makes sense

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
sounds like the alternator belt is slipping?
interesting, my mechanic told me my belt was loose and i told him the manual said i should be able to push a finger in and it would flex. maybe it's tooo loose, worth tightening it up a bit to check if that helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok, so was leaving to dinner with my gf and tried starting the car and it wouldn’t turn on, like battery was dead. I just got a brand new Bosch batter last week! So connected my booster and tried starting the car and noticed smoke coming out of the starter area. I guess something is messed up with my starter cuz it’s smoking now 😔

weird thing is my starter is new and I just recently replaced it. So either I got a defected unit or something caused it to die.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts