Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
How Bizzar...

Headlamps appear to be further set, with longer perspex covers...not just differing angles. I'd be amazed there was value in a forgery though, perhaps shoddy past repairs?

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How Bizzar...

Headlamps appear to be further set, with longer perspex covers...not just differing angles. I'd be amazed there was value in a forgery though, perhaps shoddy past repairs?
This is not shoddy past repairs. This is a whole new fiberglass body. There is value in a forgery if the buyer thinks it is a real car. I estimate a fake Bizzarrini can be made for $200,000 and sold for $400,000 as the case here. This is a nice profit.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This is not shoddy past repairs. This is a whole new fiberglass body. There is value in a forgery if the buyer thinks it is a real car. I estimate a fake Bizzarrini can be made for $200,000 and sold for $400,000 as the case here. This is a nice profit.
All fibreglass? I guess it is easily possible. It's a pretty lousy forgery, given the additional vents in quite prominent visual positions...why would someone do that? Surely it's inviting scrutiny? Chicken v egg in that case, I guess.

Well spotted though.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Yes, those are Belgian vintage vehicle license plates (OXX-NNN), but front plates in Belgium is supplied by the owner. Rear plates are issued by the Federal Mobility and Transport Administration. Since this Bizzarrini doesn't have any plates at the rear, the front plate could come from anywhere. And since I'm an "internet expert", it's probably unwise to speculate any further.

Update: the license plate in the picture belongs to a Bizzarrini with chassis number ending with 0308. This according to Auto Securité (www.autosecurite.be).

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Ask Jack Koobs den Hartog

Hello MyCarQuest,

You can ask Jack Koobs den Hartog. He is here on the Bulletin Board and knows a thing or two about Iso/Bizzarrini's. He wrote a couple of books about these cars of which the best book, when looking for information on a specific chassisnumber, in my opinion is "Bizzarrini, register, facts, figures ..." published in April of 2007. No ISBN number. It contains all the cars and prototypes Bizzarrini made with chassisnumbers and history. Excellent stuff if looking for an Iso/Bizzarrini.
But as you seem to know a lot about Bizzarrini's, probably you will already have spoken with him.

By the way, Diomante restored Bizza's and produced fibre glass bodies for the Bizzarrini. And Bizza's are known to have fibre glass bodies like chassisnumber IA3*0245, IA3*0246, IA3*0271 and IA3*280 just to name a few. So a fibre glass body isn't entirely strange. All the other differences are food for thought. Why would Diomante divert from the original shape?

Ciao, Olaf

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Olaf,

Yes, this is likely a Diomonte fabricated body that is made of fiberglass. The Bizzarrini model made of fiberglass was called the Bizzarrini GT America and the appearance was the same as the aluminum bodied cars like the examples I used in my article.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I have no dog in this fight but I actually prefer the front end treatment of this example over the "real" ones.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have no dog in this fight but I actually prefer the front end treatment of this example over the "real" ones.
Haha! I absolutely agree. Actually, the minor differences all add up to be a much nicer looking car, in my opinion. However, the 'authentic' shape is very imposing, which makes the car what it is.

I'm still amazed someone would go to the trouble of making a replica and not get the shape correct.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Why the diversion?

Olaf,

Yes, this is likely a Diomonte fabricated body that is made of fiberglass. The Bizzarrini model made of fiberglass was called the Bizzarrini GT America and the appearance was the same as the aluminum bodied cars like the examples I used in my article.
Hello MyCarQuest,

On page 214 of the previously mentioned book, Jack says that the original fibre glass bodies were made by Catarsi in Vada and that these cars were indeed designated Bizzarrini GT America.

On page 216, Jack shows us the bodyshape that you have shown us as far as the wing vents are concerned. He mentions that IA3*246, IA3*316, IA3*329, BA4*201 and BA4*1300676 also have these vents.

Indeed a Diomante nose is longer than the previous models and has the typical row of 2 vents alongside the bonnet. So I would agree that this is a Diomante nose. Chassis IA3*246 has such a nose as do IA3*329, IA3*252 and IA3*332.

I added a Bizzarrini nose I shot at Assen in 2007 at the Spettacolo Sportivo. It looks like an early front without bumper. I do not know the chassisnumber.

Ciao, Olaf

Attachments

·
Banned
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Olaf,

This car you have pictured looks like one of the "rivet" cars, aluminum body with about 7,000 rivets holding it together. This car also appears to be a race car. I believe the race cars did not have bumpers, why would they?

The GT America were fiberglass bodies but the shape was the same as the Aluminum bodied cars (see the Dec. 1966 issue of Road & Track where a GT america is on the cover). The Diomonte bodies were made later and for some reason are not an exact copy of the Giugiaro design.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Rivet car

Olaf,

This car you have pictured looks like one of the "rivet" cars, aluminum body with about 7,000 rivets holding it together. This car also appears to be a race car. I believe the race cars did not have bumpers, why would they?

The GT America were fiberglass bodies but the shape was the same as the Aluminum bodied cars (see the Dec. 1966 issue of Road & Track where a GT america is on the cover). The Diomonte bodies were made later and for some reason are not an exact copy of the Giugiaro design.
This car was raced in 2007 during the Spettacolo Sportivo Alfa Romeo. The owner told me that the car is 'somewhere in the middle' when talking chassisnumbers. The car was tuned (and restored?) by Auto Classica Rubbio in Nederhorst den Berg in Holland. A well known restorer and excellent panelbeater.
This picture was shot by Frank, one of my fellow alfa owners.

Ciao, Olaf

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Found it!

Do you know the chassis number?
Hello MyCarQuest,

Found the chassisnumber in the book written by Jack Koobs den Hartog.

Quote: "1968 Bizzarrini GT Strada 5300 # IA3*0304
Stradale, Alloy body, Dashboard Series II, Color Silver Gray (was Red/Black, was Cream),
Webers, 500 hp, There are 'GT America' badges with the car, Had GT40-type nose, small rear spoiler
Reg.no JF-71-RX (remark Olaf; Dutch licenseplate of 1985)
1974-85 Prando, Italy
1985-99 Pieter Zwakman, Holland
2001: under restoration to Corsa
Owner: P.B., the Netherlands" Unquote

Ciao, Olaf

1 - 18 of 18 Posts