Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going through some old boxes of parts and ran across this wheel with a very deep dish to it. At one point I think I might have considered it for my spider but went with something else.

I'm wondering if this is out of a GTV or.....?

Once identified I'll place an add in Classifieds.

Thanks for your input!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,369 Posts
Note that some parts are missing: the horn mechanism goes through those slots in the three spokes. And there should be some white nylon insulators in the slots.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I was going through some old boxes of parts and ran across this wheel with a very deep dish to it. At one point I think I might have considered it for my spider but went with something else.

I'm wondering if this is out of a GTV or.....?

Once identified I'll place an add in Classifieds.

Thanks for your input!
Hi, My wood rimmed wheels like that one are from 2000 GTV or 1600 GTj and are stamped on the right spoke, Alfa Romeo and on the back of the lower spoke Personal and date stamp or Alfa Romeo on left spoke Hellebore on right and date on back of lower spoke.

Your wheel is missing the horn ring and levers which differ Personal versus Hellebore and the horn lever slots are different lengths with the Personal being longer at 57.6 mm vs 54 mm for Hellebore. The Personal also has a spring and large washer and both have a retaining clip. Not sure what is inside the Hellebore horn ring/lever mechanism.

If your wheel is not identified or is of a 3rd make I would be interested to hear. Also check for numerical date stampings on back.

Ciao

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like it might be a fake wood plastic wheel that was used on some late Berlinas ('73, '74?). See if you can tell if it's really wood or a swirled plastic made to look like wood.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hello Renaldo,

According the pics, it looks like more as a later Berlina or Nuova Giulia incomplete steering wheel.

The shiny of the rim seems more like wooden effect plastic. The thickness itself is like later Nuova.

At last the overall diameter seems like Berlina or Nuova wheel.

Bruno

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Hi,

My plastic rimmed 74 Berlina rim most resembles the design of the wood rimmed Personal. There are no markings on the spokes front or back, the horn lever slots are shorter, the wheel diameter is greater and the the most obvious difference is the cross sectional rim diameter of the plastic rim is less than that of the wood rimmed wheel.

The little peak in the plastic where the spoke meets the rim, shown in first picture bottom spoke, is also evidence of a plastic rim, as this peak is seen on my plastic Berlina wheel rim and not on the wood rimmed wheels.

Wheel diameter: Plastic 400 mm vs Wood Personal 385 mm

Cross sectional rim diameter: Plastic 17.51 mm (0.695") vs Wood 22.2 mm (0.893")

Ciao

Ken

·
Premium Member
22,398 Posts
Looks like wood to me. The Berlina fake-wood rim is a bit thinner. This also would be used on period Spiders.
Andrew

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Hi, My plastic Berlina rim has 6 finger depressions between bottom and side spokes as does this wheel in pic #2.

My wood Personal and Hellebore each have 7 finger depressions bottom and side spokes.

FWIW

Ken

1 - 9 of 9 Posts