Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into purchasing my first Alfa. I have owned several cars before including a Fiat Spider which I LOVED. I am wondering if this is a good buy?

1978 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT - $1500

Here's the Ad online

Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT-VIDEO!

The car wont pass a California smog test because it runs too rich, he said. And the mileage is unknown because the OD that is in there is the 3rd one throughout the cars lifetime. Also has a salvage title.

Please let me know if it is a good idea or a bad idea to buy this car. I am pretty knowledgeable about cars and working on them. Also, please tell me any risks or any known problems with this year car.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just my opinion, but

1) It seems way to cheap to be a good one

2) why would you sell it just because it needs a $300 tune up?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I'd be suspicious of any car with a salvage title, they are vary hard to get registered, if not impossible. And to get it to pass a smog test, will most definitely cost you more than a $300 tune-up. And while the pictures look halfway decent, rust will be hiding everywhere, check it real closely, or get someone to check it for you. Also, I'd be concerned with the picture showing the dash, with an ignition switch added below the dash being held in place with a zip tie, and the unknown wires hanging loosely in the photo. This could mean there are electrical problems, or worse the car might have been stolen at some point in it's life, possibly the cause of the salvage title.

Therefore, my suggestion is to pass on this one, save your your money until a better example come along. Unless of course you're looking for a project.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
A salvage title has nothing to do with smog. I would not be concerned about passing smog because of a salvage title. My Alfetta has a salvaged title. The smog requirements are the same. It usually means that it was in an accident and the insurance company found the value of the whole car to be less than the repairs. (Very common with Alfettas).

I would check out where the body damage is and see if you can asses that. For smog, it of course would require work. If you are comfortable with working on cars, you can tackle that too. Tuning Spica is not that hard to do. It is not missing the air rail and manifolds. Check that the smog pump is there and a cat. Maybe needs a new cat.

It certainly is a project, but not a bad deal. I have been looking at this ad for a while now as it is in my local craigslist. If I didn't already have an Alfetta, I would consider this car.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
This car was discussed in this thread: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1975-1986/148745-i-know-squat-about-alfettas_-thoughts-about-one.html

You may want to PM jetboy about why he passed up on it **EDIT: he states why in the last post..**. There was lots of excited talk about it possibly being a '75 model (meaning it would be smog - exempt) but trust me, it's a '76 model year car, built in late '75. As such - it will have to go through CA smog - not fun.

The best Alfetta I ever owned had a salvaged title - but it also had the proper repairs made to it. As mentioned - these cars can easily be given a salvaged title by an insurance company if you so much as scratch the paint. It's not a big deal - if you know the real history of the car... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts