Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I picked it up from a bertone coupe some years ago. It is an amazing relay unit, in a perfect working condition and made like a Panzer. Weights at least 150-200 grams. The most important figure of it is the "manual" operation pushing the top small button! I can't recall from where exactly in the car picked it up. I guess is for the starter? It will be great for this, since you might start the starter from the engine bay,too, while in case of wrong ignition key it will be so useful. Does anybody knows the models where this relay was fitted and if was for the starter? The only thing keep me sceptical to use it, is the 4.1Ampere of its passing current (for the coil), although the contacts seem to handle ...150 A, at least.

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
It looks to be a starter solenoid similar to those used by Ford for many decades (although they have many uses other than for a starter). No 105 Series Alfa that I know of was ever fitted with one of these from the factory.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jim! I think I will use it...I like it. More over, this great relay unit is more a kind of the ...Era for the car, than the cheap, plastic relays, usually find under the hood. As for as the originality, I guess no problem, it is just a relay. Again thanks. I do appriciate your great help anytime I asked for.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It's an Industry starter switch for universal 12Volt use, single circuit. You can use it only for a short period of time. New Era is a manufacturer in Japan.
But why don't you use the original Solenoid on the starter itself. That's a reliable starter solenoid.
It's easy to make an extra starter button under the hood to start it from there by hand but I don't see the need of it. You say wrog ignition key, but you do need current to the rest of your electrical instalation to keep it running.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it was just a shot thought...When you get that good relay of from a Bertone you might have this thought in mind. Secondly thoughts might be different. Yes, it isn't smart to have (even) two great solenoids in series. Just for the discussion, the key usually fails at the inside contact points where the most current passes, the starter's contacts. The only usable option then while the engine is on the way to rebuild,is to plug it there just for some tests under the hood. The solenoid seems that is not only for short period of time use. It seems that has milions of duty cycles, indeed.
What a great forum is Alfabb! Even for such little things there is always answers and worries...Thanks anyway

1 - 6 of 6 Posts