Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "rebuilt" engine (2 Liter + Spica) seems to be burning too rich. Smells like gas a bit and plugs were all black... I went for a 400 mile trip and here are the plugs.
Is there a problem ?
Why are #1-4 brown and 2-3 black-sooty ?
What should I do ?
Local french alfa people (know nothing about SPICA) seem to say that I should keep the SPICA running rich. it functions better than way .... ??

Attachments

· Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rich and unbalanced

Yes there is a weird thing growing on spark 3 ... I did put new ones in place of course.

As for valve lash I have no clue.. I did not do the job....

For the vac lines here is a picture. i think all is right. I took off the oil crank vent thingy since the picture....

I am worried about the uneven burning....

Also how yellow or black should my plugs be.. Should I aim for having them all brown with no soot at all ?

Attachments

· Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rich

No I dont have the original box.. PO changed that years ago.
I do have Wes's book. Read it about 5 times ! I actualy visited him in WA last year. Great setup he has...
I will try following the book to a T but I need to get better organized (protractor etc...) to do it right....
SPICA was done by Wes years ago. My polish workers took engine apart last year. I visited them once to find Spica gas hoses not in place and loads of dust on engine and Spica... I question wether job was done right/cleanly... who knows. Might be something else. I will try changing injectors around. I assume the injector is just the last fitting on the engine block (?)

As far as the oil consumpion, engine was redone. It leaks a bit of oil and was low when I first took it out. Dont think it has eaten any additional oil since.. Will check.
Manometer.. ? not sure where to get a hold of one but will try asking a friend who works for a tool company. Whould i try that at a specific RPM ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.